Chapter 19: A Song

Two chapters today - here's the first!

"Miss Nathalie, wake up." Alya hesitantly shook her shoulder.

"What's wrong?" she asked, sitting up.

The girl pointed to Gabriel, who appeared to still be sleeping. "He's having a nightmare. Adrien's not here, and I didn't want to wake Mr. Agreste because-"

"He's frightening?" Nathalie asked. "Don't worry, I understand. Where's Adrien?"

"I think he and Marinette are talking," Nino said. "She's not here either."

"Let them be. You two should-" she paused as Gabriel mumbled something.

Alya exchanged a look with Nino. "We'll give you a minute," she said. "C'mon, Nino."

"But-"

"Come on, Nino," she repeated, grabbing his wrist and pulling him away. Soon, they were out of sight behind one of the rock formations.

Nathalie knelt by Gabriel, putting a hand on his forehead. "Gabriel, it's only a dream," she whispered.

He inhaled sharply but didn't wake. She sighed, pushing his hair from his face.

When she'd sung to Adrien back on the ship, it had comforted him immediately. Maybe the same would happen for Gabriel.

Deciding on the lullaby Adrien had liked, she hummed it quietly, continuing to run her fingers through his hair.

It seemed to work; the tension melted from his face, and he might've even smiled.

She sang for another moment, replacing her humming with the lyrics of the song. Nathalie had always loved this lullaby, especially because it was one of the few mermaid songs remaining from ancient times.

Some mermaids also used these songs to drown men, which she found despicable. Instead of soothing children, the lullabies were being used to drag sailors to their deaths.

But she would never do that.

As she finished the song, she raised her head to find four pairs of eyes watching her, with a fifth pair belonging to Duusu.

"It's so romantic," the kwami breathed.

She quickly looked away as her cheeks flushed in embarrassment. "He should be alright now."

"That's the same song you sang to me," Adrien said. "And the one my mother did too."

"So did mine," Marinette murmured.

"Mine too," Alya added.

Adrien sat next to her, looking at his father. "What was he dreaming about?"

"I don't know, I couldn't wake him. But he's okay." She looked at the teens. "You all need to go back to sleep, tomorrow will be a long day."

"Yes, ma'am," all except for Adrien replied.

"But I'm not tired," the boy protested as his friends went back to their spots. "Can't I stay with you?"

"I'm going to sleep too." She moved to stand. "I-"

A hand gripped her sleeve, making her pause. "Don't go . . ." Gabriel mumbled, clearly more asleep than awake. Nathalie didn't even know if he was speaking to her.

She and Adrien exchanged a look. "Maybe you should stay with him?" he suggested innocently.

"Doesn't look like I have much choice," she sighed. "Stubborn man."