Chapter 14 - Unfolding the Truth

I stared at the family picture for another minute. Multiple questions were percolating in my mind.

How is the picture in my room?

Why is it in my room?

And how did I not notice it until now?

"Maia," Yukina began. "Did you happen to... miss a spot?"

I shook my head. "I checked every inch, every centimeter, even every millimeter. And I've done that for years, Yukina."

"Then why would it appear now?" She raised her voice. "I've waited for 12 years to find a single picture of Dad, so that we both would never be able to forget him."

Was it Mom who did this? But then why would she have me find out about it now?

I left my room to see if Mom was even in the house. "Mom!" I yelled.

Yukina grabbed my arm. "She's out meeting someone. She was wearing something fancy, too."

I felt my muscles tensing up. She can't be out on a date with him.

I clenched my jaw. "Oh, for goodness's sake, why does she have to go on a date now? Hell, why is she even dating my vice principal?"

Yukina tightened her grip on my arm. "Maia, I'm not exactly sure if she's on a date, but if she is, let her have her fun! I've never met this man, but she seems happier recently. She's been a single mother for 12 years; if she moved on, she moved on."

Trust me, as long as Mom's happy, I'm cool with whoever she dates. But she should at least wait until AFTER I graduate to date Mr. Herbert. I'm just saying.

I took a deep breath. Yukina finally released me from her grip.

"Want ramen? I don't know if Mom bought the bowls a while ago or something, but they magically appeared a few weeks ago." Yukina headed to the pantry.

My rage that was whirling in my body instantly disappeared as my face fell into a smile. "Definitely," I replied.

I shouldn't stay too mad about Mom dating Mr. Herbert. It's Christmas in a few days. I can't bring down the mood on one of the happiest days of the year.

-

"Merry Christmas, punk."

It was 4:30PM, and the sun was just about to set. Today was a spending-quality-time-with-family day, but it was quite the long day.

I went out to the patio in my backyard and flopped onto the bench outside, holding the phone against my ear. "What are you doing, Mason?"

"Driving."

I pursed my lips as I fidgeted with my necklace. "You're calling and driving right now?"

"Yeah." I heard him laugh. "Don't worry. You're on speaker. I'm not going to be obliterated while calling you."

I chuckled. I sighed as I watched the sun timelessly set below the horizon.

"Somehow I want to see you right now. Seeing the sunset reminds me of our first encounter." I remarked.

"I remember that. You were so enraged when you saw me sitting in 'your seat'," Mason smirked.

I snort-laughed. Now that I look back, I don't even remember why I was so upset. Maybe it was because of how he responded, or maybe I was just desperate to see the sunset.

Or maybe it was because of his irritating (and charming) smile.

"Mason, I- "

"Hold up." I heard him closing the car door shut. "Where are you?"