729...730

Fingers traced the most recent carved lines in the wall, mentally counting them for the 100th time this night.

726, 727, 728, 729...

Tired eyes looked up at the tiny window across the room, seeing the darkness slowly lightening as yet another day started.

Jaren sighed, finding the tiny pebble he'd sharpened and carefully carving yet another tally. 730. Two years to the day that he'd been snatched off the streets trying to go visit his best friend.

He wondered if anyone was still looking for him, if his best friend missed him like he missed his best friend. He glanced around, seeing the many cages around him.

There was at least 30 cages in this room alone, no less than 20 filled at one time. One boy next to him had been held for three months now, the second longest after Jaren. They'd become somewhat friends, but he still didn't know his name.

Jaren never talked, so the boy had spent sleepless nights teaching Jaren basic sign language. Now they could hold short conversations without ever saying a word. Jaren looked at the wall of tally, looking at the 640 ranges. That was the last time he'd said a word, a whispered "please" as he watched the sun rise on day 643.

He curled up against the wall, closing his eyes. As he had done for the last 729 days, he started day 730 with a single, desperate wish.

Please, someone find me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

A knocking woke him up, Jaren blinking blearily at the cage next to him. His friend was waving at him, eyes wide. Jaren frowned, uncurling and crawling over to the bars.

Listen! The boy signed and Jaren tilted his head, frowning. Gunshots were faint in the distance, but slowly growing closer. Jarens eyes widened, head flinging towards his friend with slowly growing hope in his chest.

The boy nodded, showing his crossed fingers and reaching out to grab Jaren's hand. They clung to each other, watching the corner where the guards usually came and went.

Minutes passed in complete stillness, every person waiting with bated breath. Were they going to be rescued? Were they going home? Jaren glanced at the tallies on his wall for a split second, wondering if 730 would be the last one ever drawn.

"In here! Kryoz, Basically, come with me! Terroriser, Delirious, Wildcat, go check the room on the right, Nogla, Moo, and Cartoonz, room on the left," a voice called and Jaren's heart jumped.

He squeezed the boys hand, body taunt. Three people rounded the corner slowly, weapons in hand as they walked the room. Jaren couldn't help the flinch as they passed his cage, having next to no kind interaction with anyone in the last two years except for the few times he interacted with the boy next to him.

"It's clear. Let's get these people freed and into the truck so we can get them someplace safe," the same voice from before said, coming from a man in an owl mask.

The other two, one with a white bandana and 3D sunglasses and the other with a half mask covering his eyes nodded. They strapped their weapons to their backs and started unlocking cages, walking around.

Jaren and his friend looked at each other, smiles on their faces. "I'm Scotty," the boy whispered, Jaren's eyes widening. Jaren he signed back and Scotty smiled.

The man in the half mask started unlocking Scotty's cage and the boy let go of Jaren's hand, scooting slightly back with nerves.

Jaren was distracted at a gasp, looking up to see the man in the bandana staring at him. Jaren flinched, wondering what was wrong. The man's hands shook as he rushed to unlock the cage, yanking it open and very slowly climbing in.

Jaren was confused, as the other two had just opened the doors and let the person inside climb out while they moved to the next cage. Why was this one climbing in?

"Jaren?" The man whispered and Jaren frowned, tilting his head. The man removed his sunglasses and familiar eyes stared at him, shimmering with tears.

John? Jaren signed to himself, shocked. "Is it you Jaren?" John asked quietly and Jaren nodded, swallowing. "It's John, holy fuck I found you, I fucking found you, I've been looking everywhere since the day you didn't show to my house," he whispered, reaching for Jaren.

Jaren watched his hand come closer, surprised at the lack of fear. He reached out, wondering if this was just a dream. But the warm roughness of the palm that took his was definitely real, and Jaren let out a small cry.

He crawled forward, ignoring his pain and John hugged him, too tight for how Jaren ached but he never wanted him to let go.

"I missed you so much Jare, so fucking much," John whispered and Jaren swallowed, wondering if he could get his voice working enough to reply.

"M-m-missed you t-too," he whispered, wincing at the pain of talking. John squeezed him tighter for a moment before letting go, holding his arms and giving him a look over.

Jaren felt mildly insecure, knowing he was pretty much skin and bones, covered in dirt, blood and bruises. He was also in just a pair of ripped shorts, showcasing every bone in his body. "Oh Jare. Come on, I'm bringing you to base with us," John said softly, carefully helping Jaren stand and supporting him fully.

Jaren's eyes widened and he looked over to the empty cage beside him. He pointed and John frowned. "The boy?" He asked and Jaren nodded. "S-sc-Scotty," he forced out, and John nodded.

They climbed out of the cage and Owl man watched them, head tilted slightly to the side. "Kryoz?" He asked and John looked up. "It's Jaren, Vanoss. My best friend I told you about," he said quietly and the man, Vanoss, let out a faint gasp.

"Oh shit, that's incredible. You taking him back to base?" He asked and John nodded. "But he wants a boy named Scotty to come with too, he was in the cage next to him," he said and Vanoss looked around.

"Do you see him Jare?" John asked and Jaren looked around, frowning. Finally, he spotted him and pointed, looking up at John. Vanoss nodded and carefully approached the group Scotty was standing with, the boy following the owl man a second later.

Scotty smiled faintly at Jaren, relief and joy clear in his eyes. Jaren reached out for him, Scotty giving him a side hug. John wants to bring us home to their home, Jaren signed quickly and Scotty gasped, looking up at Vanoss and John.

"Really?" He asked quietly and Vanoss and John nodded. "Hey Basically!" Vanoss called and the man with the half mask walked over, looking at Jaren and Scotty curiously.

"This is Jaren and Scotty, they're coming to base with us. Is everyone freed?" Vanoss asked and Basically nodded, looking at Scotty curiously.

"Yeah, everyone is ready. Wildcat and Cartoonz have checked in, everyone is freed in the other rooms too. We might need an extra truck though. There were more than we thought," Basically said and Vanoss nodded, finger on his ear.

"Panda, can Sark bring the extra truck?" He said and after a second nodded. "Okay, Sark is bringing the truck. Angel is ready for the first load and Katz is ready for us. There's plenty of room for Jaren and Scotty," he said and John smiled faintly at Jaren.

Jaren just smiled, happiness filling every vein of his body. He held onto John as they left, glancing at his now empty cell. 730 tallies seemed to wave goodbye, and Jaren was thrilled that there would never be another one added.

Resting his head on John's shoulder and looking at Scotty talking quietly to Basically, he knew they were safe. They were going home.

A/N: woop random short lol. This can be considered platonic or romantic, either works. I hope yall enjoyed! Kisses!!

~Banana