Loss Of Innocence

A Dog's Bite Is Bad

It's Growl May Scare The Young Ones

It's Bite May Mean Death

It has been a month since you've moved in. Somehow, some way, you had found your life intertwining with the Reds. Rather it be a late night vending machine visit with Ginger or chatting with Scarlet in the laundry room. Even movie night became a normal occurrence through sheer chance. Every Friday was a day to sit and watch movies with the family. Ruby even joined the others every once and a while.

The sisters became a constant staple in your life that you found yourself welcoming. It was refreshing to be with people who offered a new kind of perspective of life that you desperately needed. Rather it be Robin's bright curiosity of the world or Rose's strangely spiritual outlook. Even Ruby's darker version of what the world seemed to be was something you considered to be fascinating.

But whatever it may be, you found a strange warmth with them. Almost like you had become part of the family after seeing them all day. You enjoyed the conversation had with them. You got to know them all on a level that you found yourself appreciating and cherishing.

Carmen: It's just a bunch of bullshit. I mean, I wasn't hitting on her boyfriend. He was hitting me.

Ruby: He hits on everyone. She's just insecure so she blames you.

Ginger: Why does it even matter? Boys are stupid and aren't worth the time.

You looked at her in the rear view mirror. She sunk in her seat.

Ginger: Except you. You're cool.

You smiled and returned your attention to the road. You had picked up the girls from school as requested by Carmen. She wanted to show off your car to her friends. And she always wanted to go on a ride. She really liked your car.

Rose and Robin were already home, as you had picked them up earlier, so it was just the three of them. Carmen took the front seat while the other two sat in the backseat. Traffic in town was pretty minimal and the weather was nice enough. It wasn't overcast today, but a fog still hung over the area from the nearby lake.

You let out a slight sigh as you reached the parking area of the apartments. You pulled to a stop and turned the car off while the girls grabbed their things to head inside. You opened your door and stepped out. The air was cold and the fog nipped at your exposed skin as if it had teeth. Trying to peel the skin back to expose what hid underneath.

Perhaps it was a monster. Perhaps it was an empty shell. Perhaps it was just flesh and bone. A man who simply had his own faults and flaws that he feared. A hidden darkness that laid under the facade of a gentleman. Someone who did not want to hurt others, but sometimes couldn't help himself.

The scars on your knuckles were evidence of this. The girls never brought it up, some of them didn't even notice, but Ginger and Scarelt did wonder what stories hid behind them. Carmen found the mystery alluring, so she didn't want to ask.

Carmen: Thank you for the ride. Your girl really drives like a beauty.

You looked at the car and found yourself smiling at the memories you had with it. When you first got it, you were still just a teenager. A punk with no real future and a problem with your anger. Now you were here.