13 - An Announcement

Sawyer dubiously eyed the quilt her brother held out. "When's the last time you washed that?" she asked, taking a half-step backward.

Lee rolled his eyes. "Having you smell like me is the whole point, Sav."

"You weren't with a girl in this thing, were you?"

"No!" her brother exclaimed, looking disgusted. "Why would you even think that?"

Sawyer gingerly took hold of the quilt. It looked like something their Aunt Heather had made; she had a similar one hanging over the end of her bed. "I dunno. I've no idea what your dating life's been like for the last five years."

"Dry," was all her brother would say.

It was two days before the Full Moon Festival and Caleb's parents had invited the whole family over to their house for dinner. The plan was to have Sawyer ride in the bed of Dad's pick-up truck, wrapped up in one of Lee's blankets to mask her scent. Clan Stillwater security didn't generally search vehicles unless they were headed to the alpha's house, but there was no knowing what Owen had instructed them to do if a Bloodmoon truck rolled up.

"I brought some perfume and a change of clothes," Mom said, fishing a little bottle from her purse. "Now, stop arguing. We're going to be late."

Unease began to settle in as Sawyer wrapped herself in Lee's quilt and shuffled off to the garage. The past two weeks had thankfully been uneventful, but she couldn't shake the feeling that Alpha Owen was lurking around every corner like the Big Bad Wolf, ready to pounce.

"Two more days," Mom whispered, laying a hand on her shoulder.

That's what Caleb kept saying: Five more days, four more days ... until she was free. Before the incident at the hot spring, Sawyer had been inclined to think more positively; but now it seemed as if she was back to square one.

"All right, Savvy, in you go," Dad said, lowering the tailgate as they walked out into the garage. He'd parked his pick-up inside and closed the door. "I threw in a couple of old blankets for you to lie on."

"Is your phone on silent?" Mom asked as Sawyer hopped onto the tailgate and scooted around until she was lying on her stomach.

"Yes," she replied, voice echoing in the enclosed truck bed. At least they agreed she could bring a small portable fan with her to keep from overheating.

Sawyer army-crawled to the back of the truck and curled up on the blankets Dad had thrown in there. Pulling out the small fan, she turned it on, propped it on the blankets, and covered herself with Lee's quilt. Dad and Lee then brought out some empty cardboard moving boxes and blocked her in.

I have so much sympathy for the people they rescue from tractor trailers, she thought, feeling the sweat began to bead on her brow. This sucks.

Suck though it did, since she didn't want to encounter Alpha Owen, this had to do.

The pick-up rocked as Mom, Dad and Lee climbed in. Taking a deep breath, Sawyer braced herself for the journey ahead.

And boy, was she unprepared for how bumpy roads actually were! While her father was undoubtedly trying to drive carefully, those few potholes he hit were so jarring, that Sawyer actually caught air.

Now she was going to arrive at the Stillwaters' stinky, sweaty, and bruised.

After nearly half an hour, the truck came to a stop. Sawyer's phone lit up.

<< We're at the gatehouse. Going well so far, >> Lee texted.

I wish he hadn't told me that, Sawyer thought, mouth going dry. She clutched the quilt and stared at the side of the truck bed, ears straining to catch what the guards were saying. But the rumble of the engine proved to be too loud; any conversation was reduced to a wordless murmur.