PROLOUGE: what you've done

"Maybe this'll refresh your memory." The purple haired boy pressed play on a recording before lifting it up and shoving it in Jake's face.

The words from the audio immediately caught him off guard. All the horrible words he had said about the club to his friends pooring into his ears from the tiny tiny screen.

All the words he regretted saying, especially about Hailey, hurt more hearing them now than when he actually said them.

The audio came to an end and Zander put his phone in his pocket. Hailey told him how she'd trusted him until now — tears rolling down her face as she then left the room. She was followed by two other members: Milly and Sean.

Zander looked at him pissed while his boyfriend, Luke, calmed him down. They both left shortly after.

During this part, Jake had stopped paying attention to what they were saying. The thoughts of what he had said were the only things he could hear.

The peach haired boy wanted to just cover his ears and sound all the thoughts out like he'd done in elementary and middle school throughout the bullying.

The room was empty. He dropped to his knees causing a seconds worth of pain. Of course the boy ignored this.

Tears were running down his face quicker than a river. His vision was going blurry for many reasons.

First he had bullied the club and now he had said all that behind their back. What kind of a friend was he?

Jake reached to wipe his eyes but nothing was working. They wouldn't stop burning as more and more tears fell down his face, the pain becoming almost unbearable. His vision wasn't even getting better either.

He could no longer handle his own body weight and lifting it up. Was there even any point? He felt himself clasp on the floor and everything just went dark.

☆★☆★☆★☆

He woke up to the sound of a vacuum scraping across the floor. The noise instantly alerted him to the fact he had been asleep all that time. As soon as he realised this, Jake knew he'd passed out from crying; his body now laying across the music room.

The boy took his phone out of his pocket. 18 missed calls off mom. Milo had called him twice. A few texts. He didn't think that was to bad.

Then he looked at the time. It was 5:21pm. Which meant he had been passed out since the later minutes of lunch. It also meant he had ruined the clubs normal afternoon practice. That second fact somehow bothered him more.

Clearly, he had over stayed. For all Sterling knew he was locked in the school. He decided to take his shot at finding an exit, desperate for the normality and happiness that was sitting with his family after school.

☆★☆★☆★☆

After about five minutes of looking, Jake stumbled across a door. After a few minutes of tugging at the door with all the strength he could possibly conjure at that specific moment in time, the door thankfully sprung open.

He stopped for a second. Was going home the right idea? The only things keeping him going along with this twisted life was his family. What if he just ran away from it all? Get through high school by becoming a run away and return home when it was finally over to reunite with the only people he truly loved.

He opened the door and stepped outside into the spring sunset. It was still decently bright and Jake could see every tree, wall and gate within range.

As he took his first step out the building, waves of satisfaction hit him. It was that step that helped him realise how much better his life would be if he just left RoseMeadow forever.

He left the building hoping to never return. The boy didn't know where to go. At one point, Jake thought that he was going to chicken out and head home. But to his shock, he persisted through the windy, winter weather, unsure of where he would go.

☆★☆★☆★☆

Once stopping to take a breath, Jake realised how far he'd walked and how long he'd been walking for.

He leg his weight drop to the ground underneath a shaded tree. The breeze was strong, continuously blowing his hair side to side.

Jake wondered whether he should just go back home. Surely his mom would understand that he needed a couple of days off.

Besides, the drama had to calm soon. He would only have to wait one or two days for one of the others to calm down enough and allow him to talk it out with them.

That's when the boy realised that he'd been walking for to long mindlessly.

Jake rushed to look at his phone, attempting to open up any app he could right before the screen flashed and it died then and there.

So now, he was forced into finding shelter out here, despite the regret of even thinking about running away taunting him every passing second.

In other words: he didn't know how to get back.

☆★☆★☆★☆

-jj xz