Chapter 2: Run

Evelynn was accompanied by the public to the starting line, where the three nominees were waiting. To Evelynn's left was the kingpin, to her right was the psycho nun, and at the back was the one she hoped to leave with tonight after a good win. This thought made her want to settle down a bit. The race was probably going to turn everything upside down, but she had to keep her grace as best she could. So, she took down her sunshade, took a lipstick, spread it properly in a few movements, and finally closed her dolling by putting up the mirror. The Diva took a deep breath and cleared her mind as best she could. Yet, she was not stressed. Evelynn was trying to remember the briefing she had given two minutes earlier, watching the road, hands on the wheel. A road that was empty, by the way. It wasn't managed in the center of the city at all, but more on the edge of the industrial zone. This was a good thing, the runners would not have to dodge any cars. Evelynn had already done one, a race, a long time ago. It was a straight line and there was money at stake, just like here. However, the ambiance wasn't the same. Tonight was like an open-air party. There was drinking, dancing, rapping, and flirting. Fun, but too underground for her taste to go there often. Evelynn prefers the lovely clubs and discotheques that are frequented by well-to-do people. This made it easier to make contact with highly placed acquaintances. Then, the musical styles played by the DJs were more varied and regularly adjusted to what she was used to listening to. The people who ran this type of place were more dangerous than the people who hung out here. Nightclub bosses are rich, and with money comes power. Doing dirty business was more peaceful. The world could shut its mouth faster, and she knew that better than anyone. Coming here, Evelynn felt like that mob boss who comes to take away more dough than he already has. Her wealthy status, which she owed to the music and her charismatic reputation, protected her crimes. In this lively place, under the brightness of the neon lights and the moonlight, there were many "good scoundrels". Good individuals, who surely accumulated bad acts or choices, sometimes to earn a living and get to where they are today. A life with a more laborious than dark path. A bit like Akali. Evelynn, while making this though, had started to look for her among those who were watching the participants.

Akali was making final adjustments outside the crowd, checking that her bike had not been fiddled with during her absence. The two True Damage members, amused, moved away from the party and joined her. Qiyana bent over, worried, while Akali was now checking the wheels.

- Akali, are you leaving already? But is Evelynn going to start now? Don't tell me there's been a mix-up?

- No, no, no. I'm just going to help her.

The young black man and the Latina hadn't understood. Their friend then stood up, assured.

- You'll see. They still installed a screen and a portable projector to broadcast what the drone will record from the main hall. Be careful when broadcasting, that's all, she confirmed. By the way, Ekko, here. I sent you the frequency of my earpiece by message. If there's anything with the cops, let me know. It's best to divide the information between several devices to make it inaccessible or incomplete in the case of hackers.

The boy with the dreadlocks, not having a choice to say no, and not that he minded, checked his phone directly and took the earpiece, and added a "Yes ma'am." Qiyana watched with concern as their half-Korean closed her jacket.

- Hey, even though we have no idea how you're going to help her, something tells me it's not going to be that easy and difficult so... Be careful, okay?

- Yeah, we have a sound to make by the end of this summer, Ekko added.

- I'll try, she replied to Qiyana after hitting Ekko's arm.

She put on her helmet, pulled on her gloves, climbed on her bike, and rode away.

Evelynn heard in the earpiece the test of Akali. She then consulted her rearview mirror. Akali was standing with her Ducati at the entrance of an alley. Evelynn nodded and Akali entered the alley. Evelynn thought that the biker must have known the area by heart or had studied the terrain more than she let on. As soon as Qiyanna arrived with two flags in her hands, the cars cheered and the crowd around her became restless. The music that each driver had turned up loud in their car speakers could be heard faintly from outside. Evelynn pressed one of the multiple-touch buttons on her dashboard, concocting the perfect sound for her adventure. The radio metamorphosed, and from one minute to the next, it was as if Evelynn had just become a DJ. The amp she had installed in her car was vibrating and rocking the interior with it. She looked to her right at the red car with the silver patterns, from where a very friendly driver was looking at Evelynn. In a very graceful gesture, the woman on the other side of the window put her thumb on one side of her throat, moving it to the other slowly while her lips seemed to mime "I'll burn you alive bitch". Evelynn, amused, smiled at him and wondered if the view from the left was less sickening. Unfortunately, it was the equivalent, with a hint of grossness and a side of unfunny. Inside the green car with the purple patterns sat the big guy miming kissing Evelynn. She thought that the young man potentially paired up with the blue car with lighter patterns would be less gross and sexier. She didn't pay him any more attention. The race would do the work for her.
Then she had an idea.
Qiyanna asked each driver if they were ready. To confirm, they responded by stepping on their gas pedals. After rumbling her sports car, Evelynn stared at the driver to her left. This one noticed her as it was his turn to press the accelerator pedal, thus looking at Evelynn who offered him a look... Very Lush. Then, she started at the same time as the other candidates, leaving Kang in the smoke of the wheels and the exhaust pipe. He had not heard Qiyana's countdown. The race had begun. Kang yelled at his moment of weakness and accelerated, hoping to catch up for a moment with the others, well underway and away from the spot. The police arrived on the spot. Evelynn had a thought for the friends of Akali. She hoped that they were not caught. The siren of K/DA started very confidently, spotting the first turn of far. Kang managed to get back up, slamming her front bumper into the one on the back of Evelynn to signal her presence. She likened it to slapping a rear end. It was no way to treat a lady. Angry, she gave him a hard time when he wanted to position himself next to her while he was laughing behind his window. Ready to drift to the left, Evelynn did her best to push Kang to the right. Too busy trying to get back up and laughing, he belatedly saw what was coming and maneuvered too late. His drift was a disaster. His car was screaming and he ended up hitting a garbage can, then a gate, and then the wall. Evelynn took a quick look at her rearview mirror and chuckled peacefully, once again focused on the spectacle in front of her hood. Xian's red car was behind the blue one, which was going right-left. Evelynn took the time to calculate the right moment to move on to the next action. The singer turned up the volume, looked at her steering wheel, and pressed the button just in time to give herself a boost. The acceleration put her in the back of her seat and two seconds she was ahead of both cars. Henry, who had been in the lead until then, managed to regain ground thanks to a civilian car that Evelynn had narrowly avoided. He was still behind, however. Suddenly, two black cars with blue neon lights had just come out of the vicinity. They had surrounded the purple sports car. One was dangerous to his left and the second behind him. Henry meanwhile prevented Xian from overtaking him, letting his reinforcements disturb the novice. A speeding motorcycle came out of a perpendicular alley on the left, rolling behind the car that stuck to Evelynn. "Akali", she thought, almost relieved. Almost, because nothing was over. Neither of them was out of danger. Looking as if she had been ordered to do so, Henry's minion near Evelynn slowed down, pushing Akali to ride closer to the one behind Evelynn. Thus, the two-wheeled rider was between two Hyundai Elantras. Evelynn was panic-stricken as she looked at her rearview mirror.