Remember me when it's Cold Chapter 4

Four years had passed since I first saw her. Though the years had passed, my feelings for her never did seem to fade. It was the month of January of two thousand-six. She came by with her high school boyfriend to receive my sister. They both got accepted to Humfred’s College in Esterron, the big city. I was out on the street riding my dad’s old dirt bike when they drove up on his two thousand and five Ford Mustang; a gift his father bought him for graduating high school. I guess she did have at least one good reason to have dated him. His dark hair was cut so short I thought he was joining the army or something. He never did go on into any colleges, not that he didn’t want to but he was a few credits short. He couldn’t have been that stupid, he did get the most beautiful girl to sleep with him. He got out from his car onto the open cold air with his big, thick jacket along with pants he wore too tight. Sera stepped out with a thin grey sweater, trembling as she walked toward the house.

   “Sera!” I remembered shouting as I rushed toward her, shutting down my bike as I came closer.

   “Daredevil!” she shouted back.

   “Don’t you forget me when you go off to college,” I told her as I took my brown fur jacket from my back, handing it over to her.

   “Are you kidding? I could never forget my favourite guy,” she replied. “It’s alright,” she then said rubbing her arms, “keep your jacket, I won’t be long.”

  “I want you to have it. Take it with you so you’ll remember me, at least when it’s cold.”

  “Thank you,” she said before giving me a hug. I smiled as I held her tight in my arms. I placed my gaze upon her boyfriend, with a big wide smile as I showed him the bird. I know it was wrong of me but it felt so damn good. She then threw on the jacket as I ran to open the door.

   “Favourite guy? Seriously?” her boyfriend said, upset as he looked at her. “Maybe he should be the one to drive you there instead.”

   “Are you jealous of a twelve year old?” she asked him with a smile.

   “That devil just flipped me off,” he confessed.

   “Don’t make up lies Stephen, he’s a good kid,” she said defending me.

   “I’m not lying, Sera,” he admitted as he followed her inside the house.

   “I’ll go check on her,” Sera told us both. “Be kind Stephen,” she said staring at him as she ran up the stairs.

   “Nice house you got here, kid,” he said as he looked around.

   “I know all about you,” I said as I stared at him. “You’re Stephen Whitfield, your father owns a tire shop. You’ll probably be working there for the rest of your miserable life. You’ll never keep Sera happy; she’ll dump you the moment she goes off to college.”

   “You’re the devil’s minion aren’t you?” he asked, looking down at me as he clenched his fist. “Let me make things clear to you, you little rascal. When I grow tired of your pretty little crush you could fantasise about her all you want. I’ve had better and when she’s off to her stupid college I’m gonna have as many chicks as I want.”

 When I heard what he said I just wanted to kick the shit out of him, but knowing I was much younger and he was a lot taller and bigger, I knew he would eat me alive. I decided to do what other smart beings would do when forced into a situation where the odds were most likely against you. I kicked him in the nuts, and then when I realised what I did, I started to run for the stairs. As he lay on the ground crying in pain, he grabbed onto my left foot, pulling me towards him. I was lying on my back and was being dragged. My face came closer to meeting his. I’m not known to be a coward but in that moment, I was scared shitless. I did what I thought other twelve year olds would do if placed into a situation such as mine. I began screaming for my mom.

     “No one is gonna help you, you little shit,” Stephen told me as he placed his hands against my throat. As I began kicking and screaming, I poked him with my thumb right in his left eye. It didn’t seem to stop him from choking me as tightly as he could. “I hear heaven’s nice,” he said as he continued squeezing the life out of me.

     “Stephen, get off of him!” Sera shouted as she ran down the steps to meet us. She began pulling him off of me as I laid there gasping for breath. “Jase, are you alright?” asked my sister as she rushed towards me from the steps. She took hold of my neck, raising me up as I caught my breath. 

   “He kicked me in the balls, Sera,” Stephen told her as he covered one of his eyes. “Then the little bastard punched me in the face. I was only defending myself.”

   “What is going on here?” my mom asked as she came out of nowhere.

   “I caught him and Stephen going at each other’s throat,” Sera confessed. 

   “Is this true, Jase?” my mom asked but I didn’t answer back.

   “Hey Daredevil, are you okay?” Sera asked as she knelt beside me.

   “I think so,” I answered.

   “Why don’t you tell me what happened? We all need to know.”

   “He was saying things about you,” I told her as Stephen spoke to my mom quietly. “Like what sort of things?” she then asked. Before I could answer her, my mom interrupted.

   “Jason, did you start the fight by kicking him down below?” My mom stood above me with her arms folded. She looked down in disappointment. 

   “Yes, but he…” I never did finish that sentence.

   “Get up and go to your room,” she demanded, “you will not say goodbye to Sera or your sister. Apologise to Stephen before you leave.” I hesitated for a moment before finding myself on my feet. As I looked over to Stephen, he was covering his left eye while staring back at me with a sly smile.

   “I’m sorry that you’re such an ass,” I blurted out as Sera looked at me with eyes of disappointment. Perhaps she thought it was my fault for everything. Maybe I am to be blamed partly for everything that happened on that day. But somehow I could never forget the way she looked at me; it’s as if her gaze was tearing at my soul, cutting away piece by piece the longer she stared.

   “Your little crush on Sera was cute when you were eight,” said my mom. “Now it’s getting out of hand. Go to your room. You’re grounded for as long as it takes me to forget this ever happened.” So I bowed my head, avoiding eye contact from everyone as I headed up the stairs.

   “Jase,” my sister called out as I reached the top. I looked back at her with my eyes filled with tears. “I’ll call you when I get there, okay.” 

  I nodded my head and I continued my walk toward my room. My mother took away my phone that day, and when the night came I missed my sister’s call. Mom said all I needed to know was that Jessie was safe and now that she was gone it was time I started acting responsibly. I knew she was right but I also knew to not make promises that I couldn’t keep.