I Do Chapter 25

We took our time getting dressed, helping each other as we admired and complimented one another. Sera wore the beautiful green dress that I, her friends and family had bought her for her birthday. I wore black jeans and a white t-shirt. She didn’t care that I was dressed so simply; simplicity was one of the reasons she fell in love with me, she said. The way she looked wearing that thing, it made me not want to leave the room. She didn’t look like any Princess or Queen. She was a Goddess in all definition. I felt I wasn’t worthy enough to be standing so near to her. I was honoured to even be in her presence. I believed there was a God just by staring at her. Only God can create such beauty and perfection into one being. We walked down the stairs together, smiling the whole way down. I left her in the hallway with her father while I walked out with my mom. I waited at the end of our backyard with Lucy and Jessie standing across from me, giggling as they stared at my clothes.

   “You look like a rock star, kid,” the pastor told me as he noticed they were laughing. “She’s a lucky woman,” he finished.

   “I don’t know about that,” I admitted to him. “I just know that I don’t deserve her, but I’m gonna spend the rest of my life trying.”

  The music started playing from an old radio player Mr Davis had laying around in his garage. It sounded a bit distorted but it worked, which was good enough for me. Mr Davis took his time as he walked Sera down the little pathway that led to me. “Marry Me,” by Train played. She smiled while she held onto her father’s arms with her right hand while she carried a bouquet of white flowers in her left. Her eyes started watering when she had finally reached where I was.

   “Hey,” I whispered as she took her place standing across from me, wiping away her tears. “You look so hot right now.”

  She laughed as she heard my comment. “You don’t look so bad yourself,” she replied.

   “Are you alright?” I asked. “If you’re having doubts, we don’t have to do anything you don’t want to.”

   “I have no doubts,” she confessed. “I just can’t wait to have you all to myself.”

   “I’m always gonna be yours,” I whispered before kissing her.

   “We haven’t gotten to that part yet,” the pastor said, separating us. Everyone laughed as they heard him. “Soon, I promise.”

   “We have gathered here today to witness a type of love that will last forever,” he said aloud. “Forever sounds a bit too much, don’t you think?” he joked. “Until death makes sense, then you won’t have to worry about her nagging you in the afterlife.” 

   “She can nag me for the rest of my days,” I told him. “With her, I’ll never be bored.”

“Today, we’ll be witnessing the union of these two beautiful souls,” the Pastor continued with a smile. “By standing here in this moment, they make their creator proud. Let us begin.”

   “Should we say our vows now?” I asked, confused. Meanwhile, they all looked at me.

   “Yes,” Sera whispered, “I’ll go first if you want.”

   “It’s alright, I got this,” I assured her. “I never knew what love meant when I was eight years old. I just had this amazing feeling that I’ve never had before with anyone else. At nights when I go to bed, I am grateful for your parents, for without them you wouldn’t’ve been. You’re my lungs. Without you, I can’t breathe. I promise that everyday henceforth, I will love you and I will love you until I can’t love no more.” After I finished, I held onto her hand. She began shaking as I placed her ring on her finger.

   “That was really good,” she said leaning in. She gave me a quick kiss before resuming. “I promise to love you and only you until the time comes when I can love no more. I will treasure your touch, your kiss, your heart, all the days of my life. I will support you in all your ventures even if they become stupidly senseless. I promise to always speak the truth and to be kind to you always, especially when you annoy me like crazy. Thank you for loving me and for being you. Please, don’t ever change.” She then placed the ring onto my finger, kissing my hand when she was done.

   “There’s only one thing to do,” the Pastor said, looking at me. “Kiss her, son.”

   “My pleasure,” I replied before grabbing her and kissing her as my tears fell from my eyes. Everyone kept cheering as she kissed me back while her tears fell even more. We had to stop to wipe each other’s faces as we felt almost completely blind for a moment.

   “Hiya husband,” she whispered to me with a smile stretched across her face.

   “Should I call you my wife, or shall I call you Mrs. Harrison from now on?”

   “Whichever pleases you,” she told me.

  Her dad and mom came hugging us both right where we stood, with my two beautiful sisters joining in. My mom joined in afterward, while Helen gave us both a hand shake. Sera and I danced the night away with friends and family. We all ended up getting really drunk together. As the night proceeded, it came down to the last song of the night. We played, “Come Away With Me” by Norah Jones. We danced the whole song through. When it was over I lifted her up and I took my time taking her inside, then up the stairs and into our room.