Halloween

My stomach flips as we approach the house. "Are you sure we should be doing this?" I ask, unsure.

"It's just a haunted house it can't be that scary," Beck assures me. I nod, and we pay our way into the house. Beck sips their Americano we bought earlier from the coffee shop on the way.

As we walk in, I whisper to them, "Can I hold your hand? Mine is cold."

"Fine," they sigh, grabbing it. I hold on tightly for the rest of the house, accidentally leaving marks from one of the jumpscares. As we walk back, the sun starts setting. I shiver a little. Beck notices. They slide off their leather jacket and move it onto my shoulders. We continue our walk and finally get to Beck's apartment. It's still messy, mostly cluttered with their pottery. They sink into the couch, and I quickly join them.

"What do we watch first for our Halloween Movie Marathon?" They ask, doing jazz hands.

"Hmmm, A Dog's Purpose," I suggest.

"What?? That is NOT a Halloween movie."

"But it's still a good movie, so we should watch it."

"No," they shake their head.

"Fine, what do you want to watch?" I fake pout.

"Halloween, like the horror movie," they suggest.

"We just went to a haunted house. Is that not enough?"

"If it being scary means I get to hold you, no," they flirt. Heat rises to my cheeks.

"Oh shut up," I fake hit them. They grab the blankets and turn the movie on. I jump at every jump scare, while Beck barely reacts. They pretend to yawn and put their arm around me. I roll my eyes but smile. As cheesy as they are, they still make my heart flutter. I cuddle into them a bit more. Once Halloween is done, we switch to something more friendly, Hocus Pocus. We accidentally almost finish our whole candy bowl. My eyes start drooping from exhaustion and I fight to stay awake.

"Are you seriously about to fall asleep?" Beck asks.

"Maybe..."

"Okay, but I will not fall asleep before you. You're too cute when your sleeping."

"Fine, but stop hogging the blankets," I complain groggily. They scoot the blankets a little more onto me.

"I have a secret for you," they whisper to me, as I'm about to drift off.

"What?"

"I'm in love with you," they smile.

"That's not a secret if we've been dating for over a year," I complain.

"Maybe, but that's beside the point," they say while cuddling up to me. I fall asleep in their arms, feeling as safe from the scary monsters of Halloween as I can be.