Chapter 3

I was sent to live with 2 random people I've never met before. Just great. Their names were Sabine and Tom Dupain-Cheng. Yay, new family. My name got changed from Mingyu Xìngyùn to Marinette Dupain-Cheng, and I was entered into the 4th grade. There, I met my best friends Nino and Chloe. They were exceptionally nice to me, until one day.

"I hate you, Marinette!" Chloe screamed. The entire playground went dead silent.

"Well, if you think just because your daddy's the mayor of this town you can bully other students, you're wrong!" I protested with tears in my eyes.

"You're pathetic." She glared and pushed me to the ground. 

"C-Chloe?" I muttered with tears pouring down my face. I stared at her retreating figure. Everyone stood still not daring to make a sound. 

Nino was the first person to help me up, followed my Kim, Max, Alix, and Rose. 

"Hmph." Chloe turned back around, flipped her hair, and walked away.

So everything in my life may not be perfect. You know, being attacked my assassins, sent to a new town I've never even heard of, losing one of my best friends. But just wait, one day, things will change.

On the first day of our town's middle school, I was so excited for the new start. Chloe had been in all of my classes last year. It really sucked. She'd take every opportunity she had to bully me. But this time, she won't! Sadly, she'd still be in the same school as me since our town couldn't really fund more than the bare minimum. But it'll work!

Yeah, suffice to say, Chloe was in every class I had for the entirety of middle school.

High school, was a different story. It was the twist ending in Knives Out. The real reason in every Nancy Drew book. And the real identity of 'Detective' John Hartley in Red Notice. But to me? It was where everything changed.

One day in class, we got a new student. She had brown hair and an awful taste in fashion, but in our small town, we really only had a few tailors to choose from and half of them were really just meant for the rich people who reside in our town. Ahem. The Bourgeois' and the Agreste's. But anyway she sat down right next to me and introduced herself.

"Hi! I'm Alya! It's nice to meet you!" She offered me her hand.

"Marinette Dupain-Cheng." I shook it.

"No way! Like the bakery! We moved here only yesterday, but we went to the bakery for breakfast this morning! Your croissants are absolutely heavenly!" She praised. 

I giggled. "Thanks, Alya! Stop by anything! I'm sure my parents would love to give out some croissants you and your family!"

"Really! Thank you so much!" We both giggled. There was another knock on the door.

"Come in." The boy that came in made half the girls in class swoon. I internally scoffed. "Bruh, you barely know the guy and you already have a crush on him." I thought sarcastically. 

He had platinum blond hair, green eyes, and was wearing an outfit from one of the expensive tailors which means this is Adrien Agreste son of Lord Gabriel Agreste, Duke of this area. Who's now in our class. Amazing. Another person who thinks they're better than everyone else. I secretly rolled my eyes when he introduced himself. 

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door.

"Sorry to disturb you. I have a telegram in priority mail for one Marinette Dupain-Cheng." He said.

"That's me." I raised my hand.

"Well, here you are." He handed me a letter which I stuffed in my satchel.