Chapter Two

Nightheart stretched as he stalked over to the fresh-kill pile.
"Nightheart!" The black tom turned to see Cypressstripe calling him. "I need you to go on patrol!"
Nightheart sighed. Did he really have to?
"You're with me and Ravenpelt." Cypresstripe nodded. OakClan was a fairly new Clan and only had three warriors at the moment, but Nightheart didn't mind. He wasn't sure how he felt about being around so many other cats, but he put up with it. If only for Cypresstripe.
"Alright." Nightheart sighed and stalked over to them. "Where are we going?"
"Just traveling along the PineClan border." Cypresstripe hummed. "Nothing too important."
"Alright." Nightheart sighed. "I may as well come."
++++
"Oh, hello Emberfoot!" Cypresstripe mewed from beside Nightheart. Nightheart looked up and saw the PineClan deputy near the border. "How are things?"
"A bit rough." Emberfoot sighed. "I've been slipping up a lot lately, Blackstar is starting to wonder if he should replace me. I hope I didn't do anything wrong.."
"Oh, I'm sue you didn't!" Cypresstripe purred. "Sometimes, things just don't work out. You know?"
"I know." Emberfoot nodded. "I'm still worried, though."
"Hello, Emberfoot." Ravenpelt nodded and Nightheart spared her a friendly tail wave. Emberfoot smiled. "Hey, Ravenpelt. Hello, Nightheart. How's OakClan?"
"We're well." Ravenpelt mewed. Nightheart listened as Cypresstripe, Ravenpelt, and Emberfoot became deeply engaged in conversation.
"You're awful quiet, Nightheart." Cypresstripe blinked. "Are you alright?"
"I'm fine." Nightheart nodded. "Just a bit tired."
"Alright." Cypresstripe got to her paws. "We may as well be heading back home anyways, we've marked hte border."
"I'll see you around." Emberfoot purred and waved her tail.
"Goo luck to you, Emberfoot!" Cypresstripe called after her. "Alright." She nodded, turning to Nightheart. "Let's go home."