Chapter 23 - Calamity Strikes

Everything was cold...

Jason glanced at his hands, noting with a certain sense of indifference that they were semi-transparent.

He stood in a field of gold—a ripe field of wheat that stretched far in all directions. The sky above was cloudy, with only a hint of sunlight peeking through the dense clouds, and as his gaze turned upwards, droplets of rain started falling.

Why am I here? Jason wondered, moving forward and trying to touch the wheat beneath his fingers. His fingers slipped right through the wheat and he pulled back his hand in a hurry.

Far away stood a man, framed by falling rays of sunshine that lit his hair as though it were aflame. He raised his hand, as though to call out to Jason...

The distant sound of drums compelled Jason's feet to move...

He woke with a start, cold sweat drenching his body.

What was that? A nightmare...? Who was that man?

<--<< >>-->

The barrier shimmered, glistening with a myriad of colors, when Jason touched it. His touch was feathery light and as soon as he withdrew his hand, the barrier faded back to its original, transparent form.

"Thank you for showing me this, your majesty," Jason said, glancing over his shoulder.

Behind him stood the elven queen of life, Euiridas, dressed in a resplendent and loose white dress that had sheer sleeves and shoulders and a sheer section at her abdomen. Beneath, she wore a strapless tight-fitting white chemise.

Her sky-blue eyes met his auburn ones and she said softly, "I expect you know this already, but Vern Kainley is not your birth father, and his children are not your blood siblings."

At Jason's tense nod, she continued, "You've awakened the powers of the gold guardian—and only those blood-related to the guardian can inherit the power. I'm sure you're aware of the implications—either your birth mother or father were related in some way to the gold guardian bloodline. I've investigated the history and believe it most likely that you are the son—specifically, the second son—of Reyneld Bladesworn, the last gold guardian to date—before your powers awakened, that is."

"Wha-" Jason exclaimed, "That's impossible! He was old when the demon war happened and nobody heard from him since then! How could he have a child then, nearly thirty years afterwards?!"

Euiridas smiled and reminded him that guardians lived long lifespans—so long, in fact, that Reyneld's first son was born before the demon war struck, and Jason born well after it ended. Reyneld's lifespan was testament to the unique power the bloodline held, although most guardians did not live to retire.

"Reyneld... my father... I really can't believe it..." Jason muttered.

Euiridas said, "In time, I believe the truth will become clear. Come, let us return to the city! We have seen what there is to see out here..."

Jason nodded and followed her steps.

Barely a few moments passed before Euiridas' tanned complexion turned white as a sheet and she stumbled. With trembling hands, she grabbed a nearby tree and sagged, her breath coming in ragged huffs.

"Your majesty! Are you alright?" Jason cried, "S-Should I call someone?"

Her dazed eyes met his and she hissed, "I'm fine. We should g-"

Crimson splattered on the forest floor, trickling down from the queen's mouth and nose. Red dripped onto her white dress, dying the fabric an ugly, red-brown rust color.