• Dark Descent (Part 2) •

Claw had his last meal, although he expected it to be a silver tray with a single piece of pea on it. However, what he got were half a baked potato, scrambled eggs, a banana, a small portion of rice with baked salmon on top, and a bowl of water. The amount was just enough to fill the stomach but unable to bloat. Claw was hesitant at first, especially with Chase's grin before stating that he chose the food to give Claw himself. He did say something about execution.

It might be poisoned.

Despite the cautious thought, Claw's stomach was an estranged and abandoned chasm, and Claw couldn't help but think Chase knew he was starving. He had no choice but to eat the drool-inducing meal. Upon finishing, he was surprised to be alive.

"He's evil but he's not honourless." He gave him that before slouching back on the wall behind him. That was all he remembered before he fell asleep.

The next day, he woke up to the sound of a call. A sweet voice he longed to hear even when he believed he was undeserving of it.

"Sweetie!" His eyes shot up, catching Sweetie holding on the bars, and a shepherd was behind her with his arms folded as he sat. He worried what plan Chase was up to, bringing Sweetie to him.

"It wasn't my plan at all," Chase said as if he read Claw's mind, "Sweetie pestered me to escort her to you."

This was his chance to find an opportunity to escape. Sweetie would believe him, he knew she would. "Sweetie, I'm—"

"I know, Claw. You're innocent, everyone says that… but I came here to ask for proof."

"Proof?" What Sweetie asked was impossible. Claw had nothing on him to uphold his innocence. His words could mean well but with Chase's waiting eyes, he was sure the shepherd would counter everything he said with a villainous cover-up story. "I bolted through the fire on stage to reach you. You thought I was a threat and got yourself hurt, but really, I was there to save you!"

What he thought was a great loophole Chase couldn't flip, considering he wasn't present during the unfortunate occasion, brought down a frown on Sweetie's face, and a smile on Chase.

"If you really cared about me, why did you start the fire in the first place instead of stopping the source of the trouble? Why are you so eager to abolish the position of my owner… as if you want to take it for yourself. If you had the power to hurt people like when you attacked the city, why didn't you stop The Duke and become the hero?"

"What?" Claw stuttered. "No, that's not…"

"You said it yourself, you want Sweetie—"

"I said I don't want Sweetie to get hurt—"

"Perhaps that's the catalyst." Chase's voice overpowered the Dobermann's. "What didn't add up was why you would take such risks to endanger others but never attempted to do the right thing." Chase merely sat and spoke yet he had Claw in a bind, holding up a piece of paper—his contract; the truth. He had no alibi to make known that the reason he couldn't hurt The Duke was because he was a coward, who didn't want to fail because it could cost him the most precious pup. In his mind, he always had that voice that said The Duke knew he liked Sweetie, and it caused him to take the safest route. Only recently did he realize he was wrong, but it may be too late for realization. If he wasn't titled the villain, he may have a chance of redemption.

"I don't want to believe this…" Sweetie lowered her head. "Tell me the truth, are you our enemy?"

Claw lowered his head, taking a few steps to close the distance between the two. He raised his paws to the bar and sighed. "I'm not, Sweetie. It may be hard to believe—"