GD: Volume II | Part One

3 MONTHS LATER

"I'll be home for Christmas, you can count on me..." It filters through the pocket radio perched on my bathroom vanity as I finish off my lipstick, taking one last look at my curled hair in the mirror, my stomach turning as I let out a breath, clearing my throat and practicing my smile a couple times, dreading leaving the comfort of my bathroom.

"You're such a dork, Viv, why're you so nervous?" I snap at myself in a whisper, trying to catch my breath that runs further and further from me the longer I think about my husband waiting in the living room.

"Viv?" Mandy's voice calls from the other side of the door and I'm trying to snap out of it.

"Yeah?"

"You're ten minutes behind schedule." She politely reminds me like I had asked her to when I started getting ready.

"I'm coming." I tell her, turning off the radio and inhaling deeply, breathing it out and opening the door, meeting the step-mother of my baby boy. "Are you sure you guys will be alright staying so late? I really don't want to be a bother – "

" – Vivian, me and Duff have the baby. You go have some fun and relax." She assures me, and I hear Duff laughing in the living room, no doubt amused by our son.

"Okay." I say, swallowing the lump in my throat before pulling my heels on as she slips out of my room.

I follow once my shoes are on, stepping through the masses of Christmas decorations before walking past the kitchen, getting to the living room.

A Charlie Brown Christmas is on the T.V., and Duff's on the cream colored carpet with the baby in a t-shirt and boxers, blowing against the bottom of his little foot, getting him to kick and squeal as a big toothless smile comes to his face.

I watch the exchange, my heart further tugging at the idea of leaving him, but glancing at Nikki to see his attention has been pulled from his step-son and redirected onto me, his amused laughter halting as hungry eyes lick up from my feet to my hair, causing heat to rise up in my face.

I'm walking over to Duff, Mandy, and Monroe, his green eyes shifting to me, and he's smiling wider.

"Hey, handsome!" I pipe, Duff picking him up and handing me to him. "Ohh, my big man." I add, kissing at his cheek when I forget I'm wearing lipstick. "Oops, sorry," I chuckle, wiping at his cheek, smearing it. "Okay, bottles are in the fridge, they're ready to go just warm them up. Tommy fed him before you guys got here so don't give him his next one for another hour. He's still doing the thing when you lay him down at night where he cries for no reason. Remember how the doctor said just let him cry it out."

"Viv, I know, you've told me this a hundred times." Duff assures me, and I have to remind myself he's been soaking everything I've told him about our child like a sponge, and he's aware of the same things I am at this point.

"Right." I breathe out. "We should be back by midnight." looking down at my ex-boyfriend who's got his happy eyes glued to our son.

"You can stay gone all night, we don't care." He says, and I know he means it, enjoying the time he's had to see his kid.

It just happened that Duff would have one day home after the birth of Monroe before he and the rest of Guns 'N Roses were being swept away on tour with Aerosmith. It was a month-long spree, and then they toured with Alice Cooper, then Iron Maiden followed after that. By the time Duff got home, our newborn sprouted into his twin with a head full of brown hair, and was dressed in Christmas-themed onesies marked 3-6 months.

I think he freaked out when he realized how much he had missed in the few short months. Of course he would call, send letters, and when they returned he'd have a plethora of baby clothes/toys.