Chapter 3

Zoe

Zoe

Since the day Imani knocked on our door, my life has never been the same. Who would have thought a halfbreed like me would be in inyanga isiqhingi. I remember my mom reading stories to me every night about this place. It is nothing like what they described in the books. Before I met Imani, I was content with living in the mountains with my mom forever. I didn't want to be part of a society that did not accept my mother or me. But after I met Imani, I started wanting more. I wanted to be accepted. 

What makes Imani and I so different? 

I am stronger than her.

I am smarter than her. 

Although Imani welcomes me, the rest of the pack and wolf society does not. She doesn't know that the rest of the pack back home is pretending to be accepted to please her and her father. I agreed to come to inyanga isiqhingi to look for clues to find my father. My mother left with my father, who was a vampire when she was pregnant.  My father left when I was seven years old. He eventually had to return to his clan, but he promised to take us with him once he returned. After years of waiting, we realized he wasn't coming back. My mom and I do not talk about Dad anymore. But I still haven't forgotten. 

Imani has been spending more time with the queen. And tomorrow will be the trial. Imani has been freaking out; she doesn't know if she has received the queen's support yet. I have been spending time with Mom and the boys. During that time, Benjy and I have gotten close. I notice he and I are alike. We are both outcasted by our pack.

 Tonight Imani and I are having a sleepover in her room. I wanted to support her before the trial.

"How's etiquette class going?" Imani asked.

"A lot of unnecessary rules. But overall it's not too difficult. " I answered. I am putting box braids into Imani's hair for tomorrow. 

"I don't understand why we can't take the class together." She said, sighing. 

"Yea, but we are not royalty," I said. 

"So, we are family. What makes you guys different from me? I just found out my mom was royalty."

"Imani, I have been meaning to ask." I said, getting serious. "Do you regret any of this?" I asked. Imani stops me from braiding my hair and turns to look at me. 

"In the beginning, I did." She says. "Going through that painful transformation and being attacked. It was all too much for me. It's still difficult. But I still will have looked for you." Imani says, smiling up at me. "Before, it used to be me and my mom. Now it's you, Auntie Neema, Benjy, and my dad. I have people more people who love and care for me."

"I'm happy you feel that way," I said, looking down at my hands. 

"Zoe, are you okay?" Imani asked. "I know this trip was last minute for all of us."