You Promised

He blinked.
Once, twice, three times.

He looked around him, the white walls of the infirmary blinded his eyes, which opened with difficulty after the hellish night just passed.

Two figures sitting at the side of the bed were scrutinizing him worriedly and wrapped in bandages and gauze, which the nurse had carefully placed on the scratches the wolf had given them that night.

The young man began to look for the missing figure, but he realized, every second that passed, as the memories resurfaced very slowly and confused, of the emptiness he felt.

Never as this time would he have wanted to be wrong.

"What happened?" a hoarse whisper came from his mouth as he turned to the bespectacled boy "What did he do?" he met James's and Peter's eyes, he repeated this thing, dozens, maybe hundreds of times, and with every single glance the faces of the two animagus twisted into increasingly sad and... frightened expressions.

Remus realized that they were afraid of him, of his reaction, of his eventual anger, of the disappointment he would feel after discovering what had happened.

Fear, fear, fear, fear, fear....

This word buzzed in his head, hitting every single part of him. Every second he felt a needle sticking into his heart, until it expanded to the whole body.

Each letter uttered by his friends had a bitter taste, only one, tasted of betrayal

"he betrayed me, he did it, he didn't keep his promise, he disappointed me, he hurt me" the tears began to fall, by now the pain was too much, the disappointment had reached unimaginable levels. But above all the sense of betrayal, that was the worst.

"I don't want to see him anymore" despite the pain that continued to grow from the throat, until it took all the mouth; the werewolf said these words loud and clear that made the other two young people present there irremediably astonished.

//

Night had fallen, Remus had been lying all day in that place that never failed to remind him that it would never be normal.

As much as his two friends kept telling him, he would never feel able to share their ideas.

He could never do it because, even if everyone denied it, the truth was only one.
He was a monster.

He was everything that others feared, that people stayed away from or that they did not fail to emphasize how repulsive, disgusting and filthy this minority was.

Purebloods would never stop saying that anything that wasn't pure was a rejection of what should be a non-discriminatory society.

And he knew it, he was sure of it, he should never have trusted, not him, not a Pureblood who had lived all his life in a house where discrimination was the daily bread and betrayal the favorite topic.

He should have known that, despite everything, he was too much like his family.

Despite his house, his features, his jokes, his little graceful movements, his language and every little detail that Remus had managed to notice in these 5 long and difficult years...

Sirius Black was the same as all his relatives and the werewolf had been able to test him on his own skin.

A creak distracted him from his thoughts, he immediately closed his eyelids, so as not to get a scrubbing in case that noise had been caused by Madam Pomfrey.

But alas, the source of that sound was neither the nurse or a professor.

His brain was able to immediately connect every little sound this person made, and he realized that he was the source.