Chapter Fourteen

"And I'd choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality. I'd find you, and I'd choose you."
- 'The Chaos of Stars' by Kiersten White

Chapter Thirteen
Moving Forward

Alpha King Adrian Regan POV

I was running, fast. My heart was thumping quickly, Alex, was behind me. The environment around me was a blur of greenery, and the sun was beaming through the trees, wherever it could reach the surface. The weather had not been this nice in such a long time, it had not been such a cool and quiet morning in a long time.
Nonetheless, it had been a while since I had gotten up early in the morning. Most of the time I would stay up for so long, and be sleep deprived. The castle would not see my face until the evening, and they would not see me for long. It has been a while since I truly cherished my wolf form.

I had been avoiding the conversations that Alex wanted to have with me. I have been avoiding these conversations for quite some time. But now that Abigail was here - my Abigail - I knew everything was going to change. I had been so afraid and hopeless of never finding my mate, I had been so lost in my own depression. Now I was fearful of the change that was supposed to come. How I would change. They say that change is scary, but so is staying the same. Now that the one thing I have longed for 1000 years is right in my castle, I feel almost paralyzed.

I wanted to be good for Abigail. What happens if my miracle decides that I am too tainted to love? What happens when she sees me for who I truly am?

Hey, Alpha Adrian. Are you alright? Alex mind linked to me.

Yes, I replied Just in thought. All I see is her, everywhere.

You are supposed to Alex gave me a wolf-like grin from beside me. We came to a halt, near a valley that we often come to.
Changing back into our human forms, I slipped on the pants that I had been previously carrying with my teeth.

"The prophecy" was the first words that slipped out of the mouth of now Alex in his human form. I instantly tensed up. Having power was never something that I wanted.
"Adrian, forgive me for any disrespect but this is not something you can avoid. The prophecy has begun, and the only way for it to be realized is for you to keep moving forward. Now that Abigail is here, you are being pushed to move forward again, you cannot stop it. The last 500 years you have protected us, kept yourself a secret, and went into hiding. Artemis has been calling on you to restore the balance. This has been a long time coming." Alex started walking forward, a serious look on his face.

I sighed, "I am anything but balanced. The reason the world fell out of balance is because of me."

"Adrian. You only ever fought to protect the people you loved. You became the Alpha King for a reason. If you can throw the world out of balance, you can surely put it back together. And maybe that is why Abigail is the trigger of the prophecy. She's the missing piece." Alex replied.
I started to tense up. Images of Abigail started to flood through my mind. She's my missing piece.
Throughout so much war, and pain, and hurt - all I've ever wanted was her. Waiting for so long. The most beautiful girl I had ever laid my eyes on.

I snapped back into reality as Alex continued the conversation
"Have you been in the private library since her arrival? I am sure the book has changed."
Alex was the only being who knew of some of the books that consisted in the private library. Isaac was the only other person besides Alex who even knew it existed. Neither were allowed inside; especially since I am the one who makes sure to keep everyone out. Alex only knows the information that I give him.

There was a book in the private library that appeared years ago. I can't remember exactly when, but the memory replays vividly in my mind like it was yesterday. I knew it had been a message from the goddess Artemis, as her name was written on the front. It had pictures and passages in latin of my life as the Alpha King. Artemis had warned us that something was coming.
The book was like magic, it would reveal real events that happened in real time. The day I became the Alpha King was where the book begins. The last passage that I had seen in the book revealed itself on the day I pleaded with the gods. That was when we started seeing the prophecy take its form, as the book started to slowly fill. And now - now it was truly in motion.