Five

The door closes in front of my face and I hear footsteps walking away from me. I have no idea if he will even return but I wait... and wait... and wait. I look at the time on my phone, 13 minutes have passed and the sun is setting. It isn't yet dark but I can't stay here for much longer, maybe 20 minutes until I have to go.

19 minutes...

18 minutes...

17 minutes...

POV : ALEC

As soon as I know the girl at the frontdoor is out of hearing distance I lose my shit. 

"JONATHAN WAYLAND !" I'm filled with anger. No I'm filled with rage, with disappointment, with the feeling of misplaced trust. I regonized the notebook in less than a second. We all have the same notebook, the Clave sends it as a present once we became an official Shadowhunter. It contains a surtain type of power that makes the things you write in it last forever or make it more powerfull and other things we have yet to find out. Jace was the only person that chose to paint the cover. The origonal color was red, now his is black just like the one that girl has.

"JACE !" I make my way to the trainingsroom were we were talking just moments before. "He isn't here Alec. He went to his dorm, he seemed exhausted." It's Hodge who is polishing the weapons. "Why do you need Jace so late at night?" He swings a sword like only he can, with presicion and skill. The swing stops when Hodge holds the sword a fist away from my face.

"It isn't that late it's-" I quickly look at my watch "only ten past eight." In an hour it will be dark, so I get why he says 'night'. Hodge is always up super early, like 4:30 early.

"Still doesn't answer the why. But he's most likely in his room." I give him an appreciating nod and make my way to the dorms. More specific Jace's dorm. It feels weird, the institute is rather empty and quiet. I pass nobody on my way and I'm not mad about it.

Pretty soon I stand in front of his door. A place I've passed a million of times before but have entered only twice. Jace hates it when other people come in his room so it has always been Jace who comes to my room or us both to Izzy's. I think my mom has never entered this room when she knew Jace was somewhere in the builing. What she does when we're on a mission is a mystery but Jace trusts her.

"Jace I need to talk to you." my voice steady and monotone. Yes I still feel raging but I keep it inside. "If you're here to yell at me again please come back tomorrow." Great he won't even open the door. "Well there is some girl at the frontdoor who also wants to speak to you." Better tell him now that leaving that girl in the dark.

"What?" He sounds actually surprised. A soft thud is followed with the sound of the door unlocking. His almost golden hair looks like a birdnest and his shirt is full of wrinkels.

"You go handle that girl and give me the shortend version tomorrow at breakfast. Goodnight Jace." He should learn how to clean up his own messes. I'm done with getting angry at things I can't control, if he dicides to keep secrets then that is his choice but two can play that game.

POV : NEMINA

7 minutes...

Luckly for me the sun is taking longer than expected to set but darkness is closeby. I put my ear against the door almost every minute and every minute I hear the same thing, silence. Starting to lose faith in the chance I have of giving this notebook back, I get a text of my mom.

Hi Ina, are you almost home? I know I said you had to be home before it got too dark but I just want to be sure you're okay.

I stare at the screen, reading the message from notifications, not opening it. I make up my mind, I'm heading home and maybe come back another time. Already walking down the street I hear a heavy door being shut, that takes my attention, I've waited long enough for that sound.