9

Your parents are as thrilled as ever to see you. 

     "Y/n!" they exclaim in unison, reaching in to hug you heartily. 

     People had always told you that you were the perfect combination of the two of them. The right nose, right eyes, the right smile, it was a wonder how different you had turned out personality-wise. Almost as if the universe was mocking you.

     "Hi!" you cheer back with a smile as big as you can muster. You loved your parents of course, but why had they decided to turn up now of all times?

     "We were in the area," your mother explains, an overly fervent tone in her voice, "so we decided to stop by!"

     "That's great!" you reply, doing your very best to hide the exhaustion in your voice. Deep down, something told you that your parents hadn't just been "in the area". They lived forty minutes away. There was something else that brought them here.

     The last time they'd visited, you hadn't had much time to prepare and the place was presented in shambles. Your father looks around the apartment, eyes brightening when he realizes how clean it is. Ironic how this time around, you hadn't even had time to prepare. "And where's our future son-in-law?" he asks.

     "Xander's away, I told you—"

     Ironically, Jamie strolls into the den, hands shoved in pockets, chain dangling over his white crewneck, hair about in a way that wasn't messy but wasn't neat. To one's dismay, anything that wasn't neat was messy to your parents. Predictably, their mouths drop open at the sight.

     You'd thought, after going against his idea of going out of his way to tell your parents he wasn't into women, he would have stayed in your room. Apparently not. 

     "Oh, I didn't know you had guests, honey," comments your mother.

     "No, no, no, don't worry!" you blurt out. "He's just a friend!"

     Jamie takes an unfazed step towards your parents, extending a hand. "Hello," he says, politely. "I'm Jamie."

     Your mother's arched brows relax at Jamie's tone and she almost smiles. She takes his hand and shakes it, your father soon doing the same. "Nice to meet you, Jamie."

     Jamie smiles back as your mouth hangs open now. You'd never expected him to win them over so fast. Why was his nature so warm? So entrancing and calm? You scan your parents' faces for any snobbish expression, but there were no traces. How had Jamie won them over so quickly?

     "That's funny, I've never heard of you until now," notes your father. "Did you two meet recently?"

    Jamie laughs. "Actually, it is funny. I came out of a type—"

    "He's actually a friend of Tom's!" you lie, jabbing Jamie in the side. He the spot dejectedly.

     The silence turned suddenly awkward as your parents glanced back and forth between the two of you. You clear your throat and attempt to keep the conversation going.

     "So, how have you two been doing?" you ask the picture-perfect couple standing before you. They wore casual, but nice clothes standing tall with prideful expressions.

     "Great, great!" says your mother. "But really, we came to check on you." Her expression was unreadable, there was something hidden beneath her joyful poise.

     "Check on me?" you question, amusedly. "But I'm fine."

     "Well, it's more of a proposal. If you don't mind," says your father, as he strolls over to make himself at home on the leather couch in the living room. Your mother finds her way to his side, the two of them plopped next to each other contently on the sofa.