Chapter Twelve: A Bet Won...And Security Lost

A week later
****
Everest
**

Sova and Everest walked through the compound, before arriving at the common room. The hunter allowed Everest to go in front of him, and they sat down on one of the various couches in the area. A few of the Agents were already there, waiting for Brimstone and the others to arrive.

Everest sat close to Sova, and the hunter wrapped one of his arms around her shoulder, and she leaned into him, almost like she had seen Fade and Neon do sometimes. She still felt slightly unsure, this being entirely new to her. Especially being close to him in front of the other agents for the first real time.

The mountaineer looked around to see Raze look at her and Sova with an incredulous expression, before tapping Jett, who surprisingly, was on time, and whispered in the wind girl's ear. Her eyebrows rose, before a smug smirk cracked on her face. The Korean nudged Yoru, who rolled his eyes. "What?" He asked, irritated.

"Pay up. I was right. Hah! Take that, riftwalker! I win this time!"

Yoru's eyes rolled before he glanced to Everest and Sova, and sighed. He dug into the deep pockets of his jacket, drawing out a handful of credits, and dropped them into Jett's outstretched hand with an irritated groan.

"Thaank you.'' Jett replied, her smirk stuck on her face.

Yoru wasn't exactly quiet when he whispered back: "I bet they won't last three months."

"I'll take you up on that, edgelord."

The riftwalker let out a breath in frustration. "I told you to stop calling me that!"

"Yeah, ya did, but I'm gonna call you it until the day I die. Which won't be very near, considering we have Sage."

Yoru rolled his eyes as he leaned back against the wall, freshly robbed of his credits.  "Yeah, your girlfriend probably won't let you die for a long while. Shame. Would have spared me a headache."

All pairs of eyes turned to the door as it opened, with the rest of the agents filtering in, with Brimstone coming in last. Cypher sidled in from a different direction, and took his own seat, taking out a cyber cage and trapping it between his fingers.

"Alright Agents. I apologise about the sudden meeting, but I need to get some things done. Our security has been compromised. Based on the encounter with our target in Icebox, we may have to start setting up more of our security systems. According to Breach, some of our more important information was leaked, including our newest agent, which may be a problem. The fact that we allowed him to get away increases that problem slightly, as we can see that he's got a plan, and if we know him, he will follow through no matter what.  Hopefully he doesn't know where we are, as this should be a different headquarters from our old one, but we can never be too careful.

Cypher and Killjoy, I will need you two to come together and brainstorm better perimeter defences, and Raze you can help, just please, don't blow anything up. Everyone else, you need to be on high alert for suspicious activity.

There will be no more missions for the time being, until it is a necessity or the engineers have set up what they need to set up. Thank you everyone, and dismissed."

Many of the agents dispersed, but a few stayed. Jett and Yoru pulled out a deck of cards, and both placed a handful of credits in the middle of the table. Probably betting. Again.

"Hey! Baguette! Want to join us?" Jett called to Chamber.

"What is with you and your nicknames, wind girl?" The Frenchman asked. He sighed. "No thank you, I do not gamble."

Everest sighed, and watched the two duelists play their game of cards.

****
Sova
**

Sova looked at Everest gently, before taking his arm off her shoulders, and turning to face her properly. "Everest, there is this thing that we all do at some point when we join the protocol, and I think we've put it off for long enough. I need to take you somewhere."

The girl looked up in surprise, and nodded. The two stood just as Yoru let out another yell of frustration towards losing his money.

Sova's heart raced in his chest as he led her towards the armoury. He still was surprised that she felt the same towards him. Now, it was really time to get to know each other how they needed to. They could start with this, maybe.

He opened the door, and the two walked in. Nobody was inside the armoury, save for the two.

"Everest, pick any of the pistols. Any one of them. Make it a good choice."

Sova watched as Everest picked up a slim black Ghost, and moved over to him. "Now what?"

"Now, you can personalise it. It's yours now, so make it fitting for you. There is paints over here."

Sova opened another drawer and pulled out some of Raze's paints that she had lent to the armoury for this specific purpose. "Pick what you want, and I can help you, if you like."

Everest nodded, as the two picked up thin brushes and leaned over the gun, next to each other, and painted her weapon.

Time passed, but they were not aware. As soon as the two finished, Everest cracked a smile.

A light cyan ghost presented itself in the bright illumination, emblemed with a mountain range and a singular bird.

Suddenly, Sova leaned down and swept her off her feet, and leaned down into her. His mouth pushed against hers, the sweet taste of Everest satisfying him. Surprised, Everest hesitated for a quick moment before returning the act. The hunter's tongue brushed against hers, begging to be let in.

Everest's lips parted slightly, allowing Sova to explore the inside of her mouth as he wished.

The two remained locked in embrace, for what seemed to be an eternity. Just him and her. It didn't matter they were not experienced in love. It did not matter that she was his first love.

The only thing that mattered right then, was their tight embrace. Sova felt as if nothing could break them apart; this was even better then that first time in the clinic. He was now hers, and she was now his.

And nothing would come in between.

———
Hey everyone. Bonus thing this chapter!

I drew the two of them together and thought I'd share with yall! (I suck at facial features so thats why I didn't include it lmao)