Mugi

Mugi
Foreword

Be warned that this novel is a prequel to “The Songwriter’s Funeral Song.” Please read that story first. Thank you!

○●○●

It’s the grassland that Yuru sees every time she will shut her eyes—with calm weather and a soothing caress of the wind. Its stillness makes everything at peace. Yet, here’s her telling me I’m a coward… Am I?

“Ah, Miyako, will ya do the lyrics for us? Since you can’t play any instrument, I would like to assign you in writing,” Kaede said while she’s arranging the musical instruments. We were inside the club room, preparing for the university’s welcome party for the freshmen. I’m in the fifth year of my chemical engineering course, and this was my first to participate in the music club.

“Yes, I would be glad to,” I replied.

The school’s garden is where I gather thoughts. The calmness of the place helps me bloom ideas in my head, but it wasn’t that continuous. Not like the undisturbed garden, my mind is full of tangled strings. I couldn’t build inspiring lyrics. Rather, they were depressive.

I got up from the garden’s concrete bench and thought of doing the others at home.

The bridge where I always hear the babbling water below always invites me to look under. The water seems to speak words—unclear, yet I’m willing to understand them.

I took my notebook and pen and started to write the lyrics. Counting the rhythms of Kaede’s tune, I harmonize them with the babbling water.

Tak Tak Tak

I drum my pen in my notebook. I listened to the water while I watch its motion. They were in a rush. Did it rain?

“Hey, Miyako!”

With that call, I dropped my pen on the water. I whipped my head to where I heard the call and glared at the person.

“Go to hell, Ayako,” I hissed.

She managed to come closer and had a peek at the view below. “What’s up? You’re going to jump?” she asked. She always says direct things that I have always mistaken as sarcastic.

“I plan to, but not today,” I told her with my cold eyes. I added a little smile for her not to overthink it.

She glared at me, not being pleased with what I said. “Idiot.”

○●○●

Author’s Note:

There will be poems/lyrics ahead like the ones I included on “The Songwriter’s Funeral Song” since Mugi is a lyricist. If you would like to make melodies with them, please let me know. I’ll be glad to work with you!

I’m writing to improve my creativity and especially my English! I’m ready to learn more so if I have written something inappropriate or it’s grammatically unacceptable, please let me know!

Any persons, living or dead, parties, organizations, business establishments, and events that are mentioned here which may be existing are purely coincidental and were a product of fiction.

The photos and videos that are used are not mine. Credits to the rightful owners.

Thank you so much for continuing to read TSFS! I hope you’ll like this one too! Please let me know your insights so that I can improve my writing more. See you around!

©️All Rights Reserved

●○Playlist○●

• 'Til I Know What Love Is (I'm Never Gonna Die) by Aimyon

• Blooming in the Mud by Wolpis Kater

• Irony by Majiko

• Hated by Life Itself - covered by Aizawa feat. Kobasolo

• My Last Day by Yourness

“Now, we simply live for the sake of dying someday.”
~HarryP; Blooming in the Mud