Chapter 89~!

"We should go see Prussia, I would say," Canada said to me, but I payed him no attention as I lounged in the patch of sunlight still on the floor. "Melinaaa..." he complained, picking me up and making me look at him. "This is serious. We don't know how bad this spell is going to affect you. I'm not going to be married to a cat, I'll have you know."

I smiled, laughing mentally. "Mrowr mrowr~" 'That would be funny!'

"You know I can't understand you, right?"

"Meow!"

"Good. Look, we're going to see Prussia and demand he tell us why he turned you into a cat, and how."

I bobbed my head and let him carry me out of the room, yet when I heard a dog barking and saw a now-huge Sunshyn come bounding up, I freaked. I accidentally dug my claws into Canada's arms as I lunged out of them and back into our room, Sunshyn right on my tail (wow, that's not just a figure of speech anymore!). I reached the open window and jumped out, and Sunshyn didn't try to follow, thankfully. I landed on the ground on all four feet (paws) without a hitch and skittered away, Canada calling my name after me. I didn't pay any attention to him, though, since fear and feral instinct took over me.

'Gotta get away, can't let the big dog catch me and eat me for dinner!'

Canada's POV~

I smacked my forehead in exasperation. "Great, just great. She's gone and I have to go find her now." I turned to the enormous mutt of a dog panting while sitting next to the desk. "Bad dog, don't bark at my girlfriend!"

He didn't seem to notice me and just trotted out of the room nonchalantly, Zip following after smoothly.

"Z-Zip? Hey, come back here!" I called, but he didn't hear me, either. 'Is something going on with the animals?'

~~~

Melina's POV~

'Alright, now, did I come from this way, or this way?' I asked myself, turning toward the two places I thought I'd come from in my haste to get away from Sunshyn. 'Jeez, even as a cat I'm directionally challenged...'

Then I felt the irresistible urge to go to my right, which I did, thinking 'Oh, maybe I'm not so directionally challenged as a cat! Maybe...?'

I found myself in a small clearing filled with a semi-circle of animals I'd seen around the academy; Pookie, Hanatamago, Zip, and Sunshyn were all present, among others. I sat down next to Pookie and looked at him, wondering the fellow feline would understand me.

"Hi, who are you?" he asked me clear as day, and I almost leapt back in shocked surprise.

"M-Melina," I said back.

"Oh, just like the girl who helped rescue me! Hey, you smell like her, too. Are you her companion?"

I nodded. "Sure, let's go with that."

"I'm sure you're all wondering why I've gathered you here today," a familiar young voice said, drawing all our attention as she emerged from the shrubbery and sat facing us all. 'Vale?'

"Well, I am here to answer that question," she said without a lisp of any kind whatsoever. "You all are the pets of the countries around the world, their companions and friends. You're their comfort when they need it most. So even though it's hard work being a country, don't let their problems affect how much attention they give you. They love you all and won't let anything happen to you. In fact, we have living proof right here with us that they love you all."

I suddenly all eyes were on me, and I cowered back, embarrassed. Vale motioned for me to step forward, and I did, slowly at first.

"This is Melina, and I'm sure many of you know what she did for you all last February."