Preface,

© Copyright 2020-2021 All Rights Reserved to DiaryofWynter.

No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law.

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

DO NOT STEAL MY SHIIIIIIIIIIIT. 💙

❦❦❦

     "What you doing' on this block, li'l girl?" Dante, a well known rival of Luvie's brothers, said as he looked down at the small girl. Luvie bit down on her lip, clutching the straps of her Hello Kitty backpack.

     The rest of Dante's friends surrounded Luvie, smirks etched across their faces, as if they all had the same devious idea in mind. One of them twirled their fingers around one of her pigtails that was decorated with knockers and barrettes. Luvie swallowed hard, attempting to push her way through the boys.

     Instead she was pushed back, Dante towering over her. "Why you tryin' to walk off while I'm talkin' to you? Didn't yo' mama teach you any manners?" Dante tilted his head, his intense gaze burning into Luvie's head as she looked down at her feet.

     "I-I just want to go home," Luvie spoke in a meekly tone, her knuckles popping out from how hard she was still clutching her backpack.

     "I just want to go home," Dante mocked her, causing his boys to laugh. Dante reached his hand behind her and grabbed onto the strap of her backpack, taking it off of her shoulders. "This a nice li'l backpack, might take it home and give it to my sister. She likes Hello Kitty,"

     Dante held the backpack up and started examining it, briefly peeking down at the little girl. He was met with a pair of glassy eyes, as she fought to hold back tears, her lip quivering. "Aww, you about to cry?" he teased her, making a crying face with a closed fist.

     A few tears fell from Luvie's eyes, as she looked down at her feet. Dante stepped aside, finally letting her pass by him. Without hesitation, Luvie walked away from the boys, softly sobbing to herself. She cradled herself as she walked the rest of her way home, Dante's laugh could be heard in the distance behind her.

     Luvie usually took a different route home, however, the street that she took straight to her front door, was taped off by the police due to a shooting that took place earlier. The route that she walked today took  her an extra ten minutes to reach home.

     Luvie walked up the steps of her front porch, before reaching for the knob to the door, pushing it open. She walked inside and saw her older brothers all sitting around in the living room, watching 106 & Park. They turned their attention towards their little sister, their smiles and laughter ceasing once they saw her disoriented face.

     "What's wrong, Sioni?" Nazim frowned, turning down the volume on the remote. He held his arms out, beckoning her to him. She wrapped her arms around his neck and continued crying, Nazim rubbing her back to calm and comfort her.