CHAPTER SIX

I didn't remember what happened. Everything was still blurry, but this time I wasn't able to wake up when I intended. As much as I held my breath to keep on longer than the last time, my breath was nowhere in my lungs, and no air was coming through my air hole either.

I was shaking and there was no one to comfort me.

I was alone alas.

My vision was temporarily weak. My hearing was not as much helpful as I wanted, with the glitching drilling my ears. I couldn't speak, to cry for help, or to shout loudly towards the void.

I remembered my half-moon keyring, but it couldn't help me like it used to. And I tried. Even if I squeezed it tighter than ever in my grip, there was nothing it could do for me. It's been four years since the keyring brought me any peace.

And who else did I have to ran to when I woke up after all these nightmares?

My nana? Yeah, she would be terrific. Not.

I lost my parents, even before I was even born, and then, when everything went downhill during the incident at The Dark Place, I lost my best friends, too. Even if I tried my best to help them.

The only things I have left from that day was the guilt, swallowing me up whole, all the sleepless hours that kept me awake because I was afraid of what my nightmares would show me. If I slipped away and fell into a clueless sleep, then I would be tormented by what my nightmares were showing me.

Oh, and I still have that stupid book. Somewhere in my bedroom. Somewhere that I didn't even know, because I threw it one day while I was having a breakdown.

Lately, I had these breakdowns, and I was relieved that I had them when I was alone. I hate it when I cry in public. Except the times that some of my teachers found me outside of school, crying. And, as many interventions or conversations I had with my teachers, I couldn't shake the thought that I was helpless, to what happened four years ago, and I felt, deep into my heart, that I was going to be helpless for the rest of my life.

'Lucas?' An old voice said.

I snapped back to reality. I looked around, and I realised that I was in class with my classmates and Mr. Peter.

When did I get here?

'Lucas can explain that to us.' Mr. Peter said.

'What?' I glanced around, and everyone was staring at me.

'Again, Mr. Lucas,' he said, 'you have to pay attention, even if it's the last...'

Saved by the bell.

'Okay. Have a great summer,' Mr. Peter shouted over the screams and laughter 'kids. Don't harm yourselves. Erm...' he turned towards me, 'Lucas, can you stay for a quick chat?'

Hell no. 'Yes, Mr. Peter'

The students left, and the classroom was empty, and oddly better now that everyone was gone. It wasn't that I hated my classmates, but I preferred not to be interfered with anyone. Especially from my Maths class: there were some rather loud personalities, some that think of themselves as gods and goddesses, and some who would rather sleep during the whole six-and-a-half-hour rambling of our teacher. To be fair, I also slept during class, but then I remembered my nightmares and I tried to remain awake instead.

'Sorry for keeping you longer than the rest of your classmates, Lucas. You must be having many plans for your holidays,' he teacher said.

Mr. Peter took a sip of what looked like an iced americano, and I avoided any eye contact with him, because for the last couple of years, I felt insecure whenever someone stared into my eyes.