CHAPTER FOURTEEN

The vibration in my hands was unbearable. Almost deadly, and that mortified me. It had been long since I felt that, and if the past repeated itself again today I was sure that it would have been catastrophic. I shook my left hand first and then the other, but the vibration never stopped. It felt as if waves of blood reversed in the centre of my palm and then rushed towards my fingernails. Whenever this happened I always made sure that I had full control of the situation, and always acted strategically. But, there were times that when something caught me off-guard, or I never expected what was in action, the vibration would take control over me, leaving me in the passenger seat, while looking at my would-have-beens unfold right in front of me.

For a moment, I forgot that I was in the coffeeshop. I forgot that out of clumsiness I let myself see, or be seen, I let myself to show or to be shown. I was shown that even if you tried so hard to keep yourself intact, everything could be turned upside down in a second. I was determined to find the truth, and thought that I knew what I was doing, but doing so I forgot the little things. And it happened a few times before: It happened when I was seen using my powers in school many years before, during the time I was a second-year at Honorae's. Then, it happened again when I was in that disturbing place, isolated by other buildings and houses. The place where I was meant to be, when I arrived. I was seen using my powers then too. But, thankfully, it wasn't by people who wouldn't understand. As soon as he saw me he started shouting in his black and tiny form, warning and protecting, but I got there in time.

For a moment, I forgot what I was capable to do, and I let the wrong people deal with the ashes and the broken pieces. But when I awoken from the nightmares, and saw what it was meant to be done, I gathered as much of the proof I could find, and kept it hidden before it was truly late.

Only I knew.

And now I remembered exactly what happened a minute ago. I wasn't sure on how to explain when the day would have come, and I never thought that the day would have been today.

If I knew that I wouldn't be alone, I would have left it where it was.

But, I had to bring it with me.

I thought I could handle it. Even while improvising.

But, I came in the wrong place, or at the wrong time to read into the proof.

He had to be there as well.

He saw me.

The only thing I thought of doing was to play the role precisely and with every detail like I had been playing it all this time.

Maybe he wouldn't notice.

But it was too late. He saw the folder, and I smacked it close. The vibration took over and, without knowing, I did something to him.

I didn't know what exactly, but I was trying to figure it out.

I just had to deal with it.

I rushed towards him before he did something stupid. Just thinking about everything that I went through to stay hidden in order for me to finish what I said I'd do, he had to show himself into my life again. What a fool! Just looking at him running away from me made me remember what really happened when everything went downhill for the Kind. And now my head is on the tip of exploding with the deadliest visions of the past that wouldn't stop presenting itself to me.

I shouldn't have had the proof with me, but I felt like I had no time left.

I continued to shake my hands one at a time, while standing in the office looking at him exiting the coffeeshop, but considered the thought that people would start walking about, going to their jobs or coming in for a coffee before work.