ACT ONE

ACT ONE

BRUTUS

Another general shout! / I do believe that these applauses are / For some new honours that are heap'd on Caesar.

CASSIUS

Why, man he doth bestride the narrow world / Like a Colossus, and we petty men / Walk under his huge legs and peep about / To find ourselves dishonourable graves. / Men at some times are masters of their fates: / The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings.

Brutus and Caesar: what should be in that 'Caesar'? / Why should that name be sounded more than yours? / Write them together, yours is as fair a name; / Sound them, it doth become the mouth as well; / Weigh them, it is as heavy; conjure with 'em, / Brutus will start a spirit as soon as Caesar.

Now, in the names of all the gods at once, / Upon what meat doth this our Caesar feed, / That he is grown so great? Age, thou art shamed! / Rome, thou hast lost the breed of noble bloods!

When went there by an age, since the great flood, / But it was famed with more than with one man?  / When could they say till now, that talk'd of Rome, / That her wide walls encompass'd but one man? 

Now is it Rome indeed and room enough, / When there is in it but only one man. / O, you and I have heard our fathers say, / There was a Brutus once that would have brook'd / The eternal devil to keep his state in Rome / As easily as a king. 

Julius Ceasar, William Shakespeare 

Act 1 Scene 2