chapter 1

*Rayna's pov *
"HELL NO!" I screamed, pacing around my bedroom. My hands pulled at my hair tirelessly, ready to bend the stupid tiara on my head until it snapped in half, but it wouldn't be the first heirloom I've destroyed. 'God I hate my parents, this is all so stupid! Stupid! Stupid!' The thoughts in my head screamed louder than our armies in battle. I know I look ridiculous, like a toddler throwing a tantrum over a toy thrown away but goddammit the frustration clawing from inside my throat felt like it was restricting my oxygen.

My parents, oh my loving parents, they've decided, without my knowledge, that I'm to be wed! Ludicrous! They told me its my "duty as the first born daughter to create alliances with our neighbors". So basically they're selling me to some snobby prince I've never met, heard of, or cared about, just for connections!

I feel a scream creeping up my throat again before there's a knock at my door. Shit. I composed myself, running a hand through my thoroughly messed up hair, fixing my gown, straightening my crown, and composing myself. However all of this composure unravels once I open the door to my knight. My face flushes and I clear my throat. "Sir Iwaizumi, did you need something?" I ask as calmly as one can after hyperventilating for the past 20 minutes. "I heard screaming from your room, I just wanted to see if everything was alright, princess?" God I hate him, I hate him, I hate him, I hate him! Everyone calls me that but for some reason, everytime this stupid knight in training uses that stupid voice of his and calls me that stupid name butterflies flutter in my stomach. I hate it, and did I mention I hate him! "I'm doing just fine, thank you for your concern, not that it was any of your business." My hand is on the doorknob and I'm ready to shut him out but the sly little shit slides his foot in the crease.

"You know its my sworn duty to protect you, princess~" he pushes into the room and I swear my heart stutters in my chest. "Rayna, my name is Rayna and you address me as such," I place my hand on his chest plate ready to push him away but that smug grin on his face has me mesmerized. "Princess-" he's disregarded my order, as he always does, "-what's made you so upset, I hate to see your beautiful face ruined by misery", he moves to place a hand on my cheek but I swat it away. "We can't keep doing this iwa, my parents say I'm to be wed, I will have to leave, my home, my country, my people...even you!" I feel tears well up behind my eyes. Iwaizumi's playful expression immediately falls flat. He comes closer and puts his arms around me, cold from his armor, trying to provide some comfort, but I know there's nothing he can do to remedy my situation.