VI. "My My My: Overworked & Underappreciated." (Johnny G)

Monday Evening, 6:45 PM
Work & Johnny's House

Angel was at her call center job working overtime, tired and overwhelmed. She was supposed to get off at 5, but her boss asked her to stay a couple of hours longer due to business needs and the company is a bit understaffed until further notice. Angel normally doesn't stay more than 30 minutes, but at this point, she had no choice and to think about it, it's possible the same thing will be happening the rest of the week — she was not looking forward to it. While on the phone helping her last customer until 7 o' clock, another call was coming in — Angel looked at the caller ID and she recognized the number — it was her boyfriend, Johnny. Her heart skipped a beat and she was so hesitant to answer it, but the caller kept talking over and yelling at her. Angel was fed up, so she hung up on him and answered her man's call.

"Hello?"

"Hey baby, it's me. You getting off anytime soon?"

"In about 15 babe. My boss asked me to stay two hours longer than when I was supposed to get off and I am so tired! I don't know if I can do this again much longer."

"Damn! I know you tired, babe and I kind of figured you was stayin longer, which is why I have a surprise waitin for you here at my house, so don't go home tonight."

"Oh Johnny, really? I wonder what chu got for me on a Monday night."

"Mm, just wait til you get here, otherwise it wouldn't be a surprise."

"You always know how to spoil me, huh?" She seductively chuckled into the receiver.

"That's right. Don't keep me waitin too long."

"I'll be there as soon as 7 hit and I'm runnin the hell up out of here."

They both laughed, said their goodbyes and hung up. It was 6:55 PM, almost time for Angel to get off and hoped the phone wouldn't ring again after hanging up on that last rude caller. Angel's coworker and friend, Tania, walked past her desk , stopped in front of it and asked, "It's about that time girl. I'm gettin out of here. They better not ask me anymore to stay over like this. I missed my doctor's appointment and had to reschedule."

"I know that's right. My man got a surprise waiting for me at his house, so I know I'm about to get up and bounce."

"Ooo Johnny spoilin you, baby. I wish my man could take time and spoil the hell outta me. Good for you, girl. I'll see you tomorrow."

Angel smiled. "That's my baby. I can't wait. I'm right behind you now." 

After Tania walked off, Angel cleared her desk and computer, grabbed her personal items and walked back to the employee lounge to clock out for the evening. She rushed to her car, got in, cranked it up and drove off without hesitation — she didn't want to keep Johnny waiting so she was beyond excited for what awaited her. Five minutes have passed and Angel was already pulling up in front of Johnny's house, parking behind his car in the driveway. After cutting the car off, she took a deep breath, held her chest with her hand to feel her beating heart from the twirling adrenaline rush, opened the door and walked down the driveway, heading towards the front door — she knocked.

Johnny opened the door, leaned his arm up against the doorway, smiled, bit his lip and said,

"You didn't waste no time gettin here, huh? Come on in."