Chapter 1

"Clara, metaba ka ne?"

If I had a hundred pesos for every time I heard that statement today, I'd be able to buy a helicopter and fly myself out of this party. Fine, I admit it. I gained a few pounds over the summer. So what? I also climbed Mt. Pinatubo twice (once with my friends and once with some tourists), went wakeboarding with my cousins in Clark, and took them to the best restaurants in this area. Angeles City is one of the best places for a food trip after all. Can't my aunts and uncles ask me about my activities instead of commenting on my weight all the time?

I crouch in a corner where there's an electrical outlet, sit cross-legged on the floor, and plug in my phone. I put on my earphones and try to block out the noise but it's no use. When my mom's side of the family gets together, the noise levels increase to 120 decibels-that's about as loud as a rock concert.

On top of my music, I hear the high-pitched voices of my aunts talking in Kapampangan, our native language. Then there's the rich baritone of my uncles singing Frank Sinatra's "My Way," the tune blasting from the karaoke machine in full volume. My older cousins are engaged in a heated debate about where to spend the last few days of summer break. I was with them earlier but I left because I knew it was pointless. They were talking about going on a road trip further north, but I know I won't be allowed to go with them anyway.

"Have you seen Clara?" Tita Esme asks from somewhere across the room.

"She was here a minute ago," answers one of my cousins.

I hunker down even lower and pray that no one finds me. I grab the leg of a nearby chair and drag it closer, hoping it will make me less visible.

Suddenly, a stack of plates clatters to the floor, the pieces breaking apart and sending bits of leftover food all over the clean white tiles. There's a millisecond of silence, followed by screams and giggles as my younger cousins scatter in different directions, leaving a stunned waiter in the middle of the chaos.

"Shit!" Bits of tomato sauce have splattered on my jeans and white polo shirt. I stand up and almost knock the chair over as I look around for some tissue paper.

"Clara, there you are! Karagul mu na ne! Come and let me have a look at you." Tita Esme, my mom's older sister who lives in the U.S., waves at me from the other side of the resort's function room. Her family's visit is the main reason for this party. But then again, since my mom has nine siblings (four of whom are based abroad) and I have 18 cousins-or are they 19 now? I've lost count-there's always a reason to celebrate. Every month, it's someone's birthday, graduation, anniversary, despedida, or welcome home party.

I wave back at Tita Esme but pretend not to hear. I have to get out of here. I unplug my phone charger and retreat toward the door, when I bump into Tito Lester, one of my mom's younger brothers.

"Well, hello Clara! How's our young scholar? Make us proud when you go to college."

"Yes, Tito." I force a smile.

Someone calls Tito Lester's name and I make a quick escape while he's distracted. I run toward the reception area of our resort and stand behind the counter, leaving behind the muffled sounds of the party.

Aaaah, sweet silence!

"Clara, thank God you're here!"

Well, so much for not being disturbed. I turn around and see Ate Jonah, our resort's assistant manager, who has been manning the reception desk since this morning. "Do you mind if I take a quick break?" she asks. "I haven't had lunch yet and I badly need to pee."

"Yes, of course, Ate Jonah. Go ahead. I can stay here for a while."

"Thanks! You're a lifesaver." She runs to the bathroom, her heels clicking on the floor.