Chapter 4: Cartiers

Cartiers
6:55 AM

Sounds of sirens from afar woke me up from my deep sleep. Darkness was still present behind my closed eyelids and my face had already gotten freezing cold, making my skin pale and nose red. I was lying on my side—feeling comfier on the bed than yesterday—with my hands covered by the hoodie that I wore and face melted into the pillow. The second I became conscious but still not fully awake, I didn't have any idea where I was and had no recollection of what happened yesterday at all. That was until I heard a low hum in front of me. I froze as I gradually opened my eyes, barely seeing anything but a piece of white fabric.

I now realized something. We had both fallen asleep on his bed. Mal quickly turned his head to my side while pushing himself up with his elbows as it seemed like he had woken up at the same as me. Our eyes met and we stared at each other in utter shock. My eyes became wide open and I could suddenly see clearer.

After having my senses finally knocked into place, last night replayed in my head as I could now remember that I wasn't able to sleep at all. I had told Mal and he suggested we could do something to kill time. Suddenly it all made sense; I must have fallen asleep while the TV—that hung by the corner of the ceiling and wall—was turned on, and it was only visible on the top of the bunk bed. That's why we sat here together.

Mal slightly furrowed his eyebrows. "W-what?" He stuttered while being seemingly as stunned as me.

He immediately looked down at his body before he let out a sigh of relief. He must have been relieved that he didn't have his shirt off. His head hit the ceiling as he attempted to straighten up.

"Ouch." Mal whispered, touching his head with his fingertips. He looked exhausted and his hair had gotten a bit more curlier from sleep.

I pushed my head up from the pillow and let out a loud "Sorry!" before breaking contact with his eyes. "I didn't mean to fall asleep here!" My lips pressed together.

His eyebrows slightly rose before furrowing again in confusion. "Why are you being so loud?" He asked in a sleepy voice. "It's too early for this." It seemed like him being in a shocked state only lasted a few seconds before he started acting grumpy.

Morning mood, huh? I was the one who woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Literally.

With heavy eyelids, he gently pushed my head down on my pillow before turning around as his body fell down on the bed again. I turned away from his side while my eyebrows pinched together in confusion. I guess it was fine for him to sleep beside me, but was it really fine for me? It felt unfamiliar, almost as if I was lying next to a complete stranger.

My voice lowered when I suddenly broke the silence. "I barely know you."

"What are you talking about?" I heard his voice sharpen behind me.

"How can you sleep so casually next to someone you don't even talk to?" It felt like warmth started gathering around my neck. I realized that it might've been a feeling of embarrassment and fluster. "You seemed surprised a second ago, though."

"It's not like you're some stranger," he almost immediately responded, "So, I'm not really bothered by your presence. I was just confused, like you." His tone sounded cold.

Great to know that he's not really bothered by my presence. I pursed my lips as my body slithered down from the bed, hands gripping the bed before dropping myself down on the floor as I began stretching. I looked up to see Mal once again hit his head on the ceiling while rubbing his eye.