Chapter 40: D-Day

The kings had come to a standstill. They felt like they were making progress. They were confident that they had regained her trust, but their hopes were crushed when Gen uttered those words. They wondered if it was something they said, something they did, or something someone else did. But they looked back, and everything was perfect. Or at least that was how they felt.

"We're sorry," the kings spoke even without knowing or inquiring what they did wrong. This time they were taking no chances. They couldn't afford to lose her since they knew that they wouldn't get any more chances.

Last time, the kings regretted how they didn't try to stop Gen or tell her about their true feelings, and simply went to Bella. This time, they weren't going to make the same mistake. 

"Please stay by our side," Damien begged, and Lucius was desperate, "We'll do anything you want."

"Please don't leave us, Eve," Tristan negotiated.

"We don't know what we'll do without you," Markus confessed.

Gen didn't know how to tell the kings. She was touched by their words, and she knew that they meant every word they said. But the problem was not the kings.

"I'm sorry, it is all my fault," Gen confessed, and she broke down. The kings were upset to see her in the state, and they tried to console her.

"Please don't say that," Markus spoke as he wiped her tears.

Gen had a great time with the kings, and she found herself drawn toward the kings. Her heart fluttered and she wanted to stay with them. But she was stuck in an emotional turmoil, and she found no way out. She felt like she lost all her confidence. She constantly second-guessed herself, and she did not feel like she was worthy to be the queen. No matter how much she tried, she was always reminded that she wasn't their mate.

"Your kingdoms deserve a queen, and it can't be me," Gen voiced out, and she also felt guilt-ridden for separating the kings from Bella. "It is not too late; you should go back to Bella."

The kings frowned to hear her words, and they felt that they were back to square one.

"Vee, we told you that if you can't be our mate, we don't want anyone else," Lucius reiterated, emphasizing every word.

"But it is not fair to the people of your kingdoms. They deserve a queen who is also the king's mate! It is how things have always been in the werewolf kingdoms, and these customs and traditions are for a reason. By going against them, not only will you hurt your people, but also yourselves," Gen stated. She had been studying werewolf history and their customs. Also, spending time with the people made her realize how loving and caring they were. She didn't wish to deceive them or have them suffer because of her.

"You will set the wrong precedent if you crown someone other than your mate as the queen," Gen knew what a pivotal role the mate and the queen played. The kings and the kingdoms would be at a disadvantage if she became the queen.

Hearing her words crushed the king's hearts, and they were filled with fury and rage. They were angry at themselves and their fates. They wanted to tell Genevieve that they could make it work, but they couldn't force her to do something she didn't want to. They hated the mess, they hated their circumstances, and they hated themselves. They felt powerless and useless being tied to someone they didn't love. They were in agony and pain, and they wanted someone to take it away. The only one who could help them and take them out of their misery was the moon goddess.

The moon goddess hadn't left the kings alone. She had been watching them the whole time. Ever since they met the girls to the point when they came back and announced the queen. She observed them carefully and assessed every move they made. She knew about their feelings and what went around in their mind. She felt that it was time, and she needed to have a talk with the kings. She appeared in their dreams when the kings least expected her to visit.