the piggyback

part eight

After Steve convinced the group to let him go home to change, they ended up back at Hawkin's High to help out in any way they can.

There were stalls upon stalls, fire brigades, ambulances, anyone who could help, was there. As much as Daphne hated the town that held up pitch forks for Eddie, it was somewhat comforting that everyone was pulling together like this.

Dustin and Robin grabbed a box, with Daphne diving in for the last one, although Steve placed his car keys in his back pocket, reaching over the girl and practically ripping it from her finger tips.

"Hey," Daphne scolded, glaring up at the boy, "I don't need help."

"What kind of boyfriend would I be if made you carry a box in there empty handed?" Steve shrugged, closing his boot with one hand, and Daphne's stomach jumbled as her mouth turned up a goofy grin. "What?"

"Boyfriend?" She cocked her head to the side, practically skipping next to him as he rolled his eyes and turned towards the school.

"Yeah, I mean," He started to stutter, "Well, we're dating, right? So I guess—"

"Steven Harrington, I would be honoured to be your girlfriend," The brunette almost sang, "I always wondered what it would be like to date King Steve,"

"Been thinking about me a long time, have you, Henderson?" He teased, holding the door open for the girl with his free hand as she dipped underneath his arm and into the sports hall where everyone was set up.

"I wouldn't want to inflate that hair of yours," Her lips pursed into a tight smile, just as she bumped into Robin in front of her. "Dude, what—"

"This is awful," Robin sighed as she looked around, police against posters where people were reporting others missing, hospital beds set up with patients lined around, some hooked up to drips as they all wait patiently. "Come on, donations are there."

The four slowly walked up to the stand, placing the boxes on the table for the volunteers to take.

"Hey," Robin smiled, "uh, so, these are blankets and sheets," she tapped the box in front of her, "and— and some clothes," she gestured to Steve's box, "and some kids toys."

"Wow, it's already so organised, we appreciate that," the woman smiled at them.

"Yeah, that was me, they didn't help, like at all," Daphne rambled as the three glared at her.

"Shut up, dude," Dustin gritted at her, her eyes widening as if to tell him she's done nothing wrong.

"Do you want a tax receipt for it?" The woman asked.

"A what?" Daphne glanced to Steve, who shrugged his shoulders.

"Uh, no, I don't think we need one," Robin answered confused, "Thank you, though,"

"Is there— I dunno, anything else we can do here?" Daphne chirped up again, glancing around, "Looks like there's a lot to do, and we'd, uh, like to help,"

"We would?" Steve leant towards her and asked under his breath.

"We would." Daphne glared at the boy, who nods.

"Yeah, we would." He clears his throat.

Daphne and Steve are put to work organising clothes into categories of women, men, girls, boys and infants. The girl couldn't help but laugh as Steve started to fold things completely backwards, the confusion knitted onto his eyebrows as he glanced over to how others were folding.