Chapter 10: Don't

"Your Honor, we can't stay in this building. That truck might be a dangerous hazard and we'll just be sitting ducks here!" Chris urged after the judge ordered everyone to stay inside of the courtroom

"You heard the deputy, captain. The exits are blocked." the judge scolded, annoyed

"Yes, which means we have to make an exit somewhere. Street and I have an idea. Just follow us." she said pointing at Street, who turned to her with a frown.

After a second or two of intense stares, the judge finally reacted. "Alright" he said skeptically.

Chris turned, grabbed Rubio by the hand and headed out the door. Street came closer to her and whispered, "We have a plan?"

"Yeah, follow my lead." she whispered

Street nodded once and placed an arm around her shoulders. The group exited the courtroom and went down the hall quietly.

They went past two doors, when they stop frozen as the third one opened slowly. A man in a gray suit stuck his head out and called, "Hey! Where are you going? We were told to stay here!"

"We're police officers, we're getting you out to safety!" Street answered

After checking everyone in that courtroom for injuries, they gathered the groups from both courthouses and headed downstairs. Chris explained that they needed to find an escape route. She remembered of a place in the basement of the building where she saw a big hole in the wall covered with a wood panel, where the old kitchen vent was located. She explained that one time she came in with her K9 to do a search of the building because of a bomb threat. They inspected the entire building, including the room that used to serve as a small kitchen where the judges and clerks would prepare their meals, for them not to lose time between cases and to not have to leave the building.

"Ok, so...we remove that panel and slowly we locate everyone on the parking lot next to the courthouse." Chris said to Street.

Neither adult noticed the teenager was paying close attention, admiring how well trained both were. They acted in complete sync as each contributed to the plan.

The huge group of guests lined up next to the opening as Street and a couple of others gathered tables and chairs and made an improvised set of stairs towards the hole. Meanwhile, Chris took a chair from the conference room and broke the legs off. Street climbed on the structure and with the help of one of the broken chair legs he broke off some of the studs holding the piece of wood in place.

"Ok, we got a hole!" Street called as the others cheered

Little by little the guests climbed up, grabbed Street's hand for support and climbed out of the widow. One guest. Two guests. Ten guests. Twenty guests.

After 15 minutes, only five remained: the family of three, the man in the gray suit, who they learned was one of the district prosecutors, Counselor Hunter Zabka, and judge Rogers. As Rogers placed a hand on the structure, a strong wing came in and moved part of the structure. This rattled the judge to a point where he absolutely lost his mind.

"OH MY GOD! AFTER SHOCK! HELP! HELP!" he yelled over and over again, grabbing his hair, tearing his gown, moving frantically.

The other four were stunned at the turn of events, as the man twirled and sobbed loudly. He began shaking violently, when Rubio approached him. The older gentleman was almost hyperventilating!

"Judge! Judge!" he called, grabbing him by the arms. He pulled the man, made him stand still, wildly staring at the boy. "It's ok, Your Honor." he said calmly, as the other three adults approached. Slowly, the judge came to his senses and began normalizing his breathing, as he looked around, trying to get a grasp of what was happening.