Navy Blue: Chapter 20

"Chef Rossi is only offering the course in July and August." Sophie's dark eyes danced. "I can't miss this opportunity."

Emily's friend's excitement was infectious. Sophie's dream of becoming a chef had hit a few bumps along the way. For years she'd worked as a sous chef in the restaurant of a prominent Washington hotel. She was up for a promotion when the chain went bankrupt and closed down within two months. Out of a job and not one to sit around, she'd decided to start go out on her own.

The catering business was a chance to create her own menu without the overbearing cost of a brick-and-mortar permanent location. Opening a viable restaurant with booths and table clothes was the ultimate goal, and adding the tutelage of the famous chef to her resume would help her achieve.

"It sounds amazing." Emily placed her hand over her heart. "Her YouTube videos make me believe even I could whip up some pasta by hand."

The liquid in Kerri's martini sloshed dangerously close to the rim of her glass with the waving of her hands. "Did you watch the pumpkin ravioli one? I was practically licking the screen."

"What about the Pesto Penne? That looked to die for." Beth and Kerri batted pasta dishes back and forth as Sophie beamed at them.

The expression of delight was rare for Sophie. After losing Thomas, a cloak of impassiveness had enveloped her friend. It wasn't that there weren't moments of happiness; it was more that the brief encounters had a shallow quality. Emily understood how the death of Thomas might cause Sophie to shun romantic relationships, but she seemed to dampen all feelings. Where Emily craved connection, Sophie guarded against anything new beyond the friends and family she had before Thomas. Like she was frozen in time. In the world, but not of it.

"I suppose it's a good enough excuse. You'll be missed at the Harrington house." Mary's pout morphed into a smile. "And you have to promise we get a reserved table in our name when you open your own restaurant."

Sophie side hugged Mary. "Wouldn't have it any other way."

"I guess it's settled then." Mary sighed deeply. "You spend your summer with a famous chef in Washington, and I'm left with Emily as my date to the Hamptons."

Emily bit the inside of her lip. "Why do I feel like a consolation prize?"

"Never." Her sister's mouth drooped. "I love spending time with you. But you and I both know you'll sneak away with Sam and Charlie on one of your three musketeer's adventures and I'll be left making small talk with Sam's finance Ali."

"Weren't the three musketeer's men?" Kerri asked.

Mary sipped her drink. "Modern-day version. I'm the Lady de Winter in their little group."

"Not true, Mary." Beth nudged her sister. "You're more Queen Anne."

Kerri bounced between the three sisters. "I'm completely lost."

"It's just a silly thing between Emily and the Harrington boys." Sophie offered, brushing her dark hair behind an ear. "I'd rather talk about the boys in the room. Namely, one Finn Wainwright. You didn't tell me Finn was so tall."

The smooth vodka of Emily's martini caught in her throat at the abrupt change of subject.

Kerri nudged Emily's shoulder. "Or so handsome."

Mary huffed and a flush of heat rose up Emily's neck.

"And clearly still in love with you." Beth whispered for only Emily to hear.

"Ladies. What are we gossiping about now?" Lance offered a platter of golden crab cakes to the group.

Kerri plucked out two of the crispy morsels. "You're new friend. The sailor."

"Master at Arms." Why couldn't anyone get Finn's rank right? It was a matter of respect. He'd earned his place in the Navy. The least people could do is call him by the proper name. "And he's not my friend, Lance. He's our client's witness. Speaking of—" Emily scanned the room "—Don't you think we should find a quiet place to go over Finn's testimony now."

The logical lawyer in her hadn't appreciated that Lance had invited Finn to Ben's birthday party. More blurring of the lines between council and witness. Lance had spun the invite as an opportunity for one last chance to prep Finn for the court-martial on Tuesday. Turned out Emily might have a lead on a key piece of Lieutenant Casey's defense, and she was anxious to run her theory by Finn.

"That ship has sailed." Lance put an arm around his wife. "Finn's gone."

The vodka in Emily's stomach churned. "Gone? What do you mean, gone?" She reminded herself he wouldn't disappear like last time. A witness in a court-martial couldn't leave without extenuation circumstances. "What's wrong?"

Lance raised an eyebrow. "Besides being bored at a kid's party?" He shook his head. "Had to pick up Max... I mean Seaman Randall. Something about a boy's night out. I got them on the list at The Playground."

The club she'd met Roy at. She ran her finger around the rim of her nearly empty martini glass to steady her hands. It was almost impossible to imagine Finn prowling the dance floor of the trendy hot spot like her ex-boyfriend. Back in Bridgetown, there were no clubs, and besides the Waterfront Bar and Grill, only one seedy bar offered any nightlife possibilities. They'd spent Finn's free nights in his room above the boathouse, dancing in private.

"Oh, I've always wanted to go to The Playground." Kerri's eyes flashed. "I hear it's epic."

"Epic meat market." Mary said.

"Why would you send him there?" The question burst out of Emily's mouth, and everyone turned to stare at her. "I mean, there are better bars in town."

"He said he needed to get Max—" Lance clamped his mouth shut. Emily didn't think she wanted to hear the end of that sentence.

"An easy lay." Mary put her hand on her hip. "C'mon, I'm just saying what you're all thinking."

If a quick hook up was your goal, The Playground was exactly the place you went. A friend of Lance's, who'd dropped out of law school in the first year, had used his trust fund to open the hot spot. From opening night, Washington's barely legal clubbers clamoured to get through the doors and be among the beautiful people.

Kerri raised her glass. "I'm thinking we should go to the Playground tonight."

"No," said Emily and Mary at the same time Sophie and Beth said, "Good idea."

Shrouded in confusion, Lance met each of the women's eye's, landing at last on his wife's.

"Honey," Beth stroked her husband's stomach. "Make another call and get Emily and Kerri on the VIP list."

"Unnecessary, Lance." Emily crossed her arms. Not under any circumstances would she set foot in that club again. Especially if Finn was there.

"Oh, please. Emily." Kerri batted her eyelashes. "I didn't get a chance to meet your Master at Arms. Or this Seaman..."

"Randal," Beth offered.

Mary straightened beside her. "And you won't tonight." Her sister's determination grated against Emily's skin. Being the older sister gave Mary a certain leeway, earned her an amount of respect, but it didn't give her the right to order Emily around. If she wanted to go to a club, any club, she could.

Kerri beamed at Mary. "You can come too, of course."

"I'd rather eat nails than go. Thank you very much." Mary wrapped her arm around Emily's. "We'll stay in and watch a movie instead."

"Actually, I'm not available tonight." Emily disentangled herself from Mary's embrace. "Kerri and I are going to The Playground."