Navy Blue: Chapter 34

Finn's heart jack hammered like an artillery gun in the midst of a battle.

Emily stood before him. Saying the things he desperately wanted to hear but had given up hope of ever receiving.

After leaving the party, he'd clutched his phone, anxious for her call. Confident Lance would give her the letter, it could only be a matter of time. He told himself it would be okay. Certain she'd reach out.

Back at base, he barely had time to change and run across base to meet his Sergeant. Tonight's drill was a mock prisoner transfer to test the new recruits, where Finn played the role of the prisoner. Wrists bound behind his back in handcuffs he couldn't check his watch to see the time. The exercise seemed to last for hours and frustration mixed with doubt had laced his every breath the longer the session went on.

Emily could be calling him now, a message on his voicemail. Or she could be laughing at his proclamation. The mask on her face as she turned from him at the party ate away at his confidence the more time and distance there was between them. His usual breathing techniques were useless at keeping his heart rate normal.

By the time Max arrived, telling the Sergeant there was an emergency, Finn's head was ready to explode. His stomach sank when Max insisted Campbell needed to see him in the barracks. Depression engulfed him with the walk across the rain soaked base. Foolishly he'd hoped Max's urgency was a ploy to get them back to the barracks because of his incessantly ringing phone, or better a waiting Emily. But his friend hadn't spoken up and with a heavy heart, Finn gave up hope. She wouldn't come see him in the middle of the night.

Once again, Finn was wrong.

Emily stood before him. Grey eyes leaving him nowhere to hide.

His mind couldn't quite follow her words. Something about a mistake. The phase igniting the all to familiar burning fire of defeat under his ribcage. This time she had the decency to gut him face to face. He decided a break up by letter was more humane.

Unable to bear the agony of her beautiful face, he focused on the cabinets of the kitchenette behind her. It was a special kind of torture to have her stand there, the knowledge she had his heart and had tossed it aside, hanging between them.

The paper in her hand caught his attention. Recognition of what could be his letter waving like a white flag brought Emily into sharp focus. From her mouth spilled words he couldn't hear for the pounding in his ears. But he couldn't miss her eyes shimmering with excitement, with passion.

A look he'd drowned in eight years ago the day he'd left her in Bridgetown. The heat in his chest seethed with a different emotion, warm tendrils curling around the tense knots that coiled there since that day.

She'd taken his hand and told him the only thing that mattered. "It's only ever been you. I will always love you."

Words he'd convinced himself he'd never hear again filled the room, drowned out the doubt and flooded the cavity in his chest her other words caused eight years ago.

Emily loved him.

The moment felt like a dream. Yet he could feel her rapidly beating heart thumping against his hand. Her fingers over his. His thumb lay against the skin exposed by the low collar of her dress. Chest rising and falling beneath his touch. Warm and soft.

Real.

A light whiff of lavender tickled his nose. Inches away, her lips trembled. The slightest movement, a mere dip of his head, and he could close the gap between them.

Finn dipped.

A gentle brush against her delicate lips and he reunited with Emily's sweet taste. Not in a stolen moment or in a fevered dream. A purposeful promise of what was, what is, and most of all, what would be.

This wasn't his imagination. He allowed himself to believe, letting the certainty seep in. "Em?" He couldn't quite leave her mouth, his lips moving over hers. "Tell me again."

"I..." She pecked at the corner of his mouth.

"Love..." She squeezed his hand.

"You." She tugged on his shirt to pull him closer. Her fingers glided over his neck, nestling in his hair. Sparks of electricity flowed from her touch through him.

"I love you, too." The phrase rolled off his tongue. No pain, no regret. Rang true and right.

Her eyelids fluttered. "I know."

There she was, the saucey woman who captured his heart.

Everything around him faded away, as every fiber of his body recalibrated to the feel of her. Heat igniting where she crushed against him, her frame moulding to him as she fit back to where she should always be, where she was meant to be.

With him.

Their kiss consumed him, her opening up, letting him in. Uncertainty, fear and all the other sharp knives that cut at him since landing in Washington dulled, vanquished by her touch. He let down his guard, accepting everything she offered.

Once again and for the first time in forever, Finn felt love.

His free hand reached for her waist, finding familiar tracks to follow as it travelled through hill and dale, landing on the small of her back. He hugged her closer to him and silently vowed never to let her go.

Fate had different plans.

An "ahem" came from behind him.

Finn ignored it.

"Wainwright." His Captain didn't leave any room for interpretation as to his displeasure at Finn leaving the drill to kiss a woman. "Five minutes is up."

How could he leave her? Everything he ever wanted was here in his arms.

Emily broke contact first, her lips pulling away. Reluctantly, he let them leave. Little puffs of air beat against the center of his chest where she tucked her forehead into him. Through the fog of everything Emily invading his brain and body, he swam against the tide. Finding his voice, he managed to eke out a "Yes, Sir. Coming right away, Sir."

"Em." He found her ear. "Wait for me?"

Silver eyes met his. "Forever."

Finn let that thought settle. He'd thought he'd be alone for forever. He expected to be in the Navy for forever. Now an alternative life stood before him. A possible future he secretly wished for but didn't think feasible. He expanded his lungs, sucking in the promise of a life with Emily.

"I'll be a couple of hours." He wrapped a strand of damp hair around his finger. "Maybe you should go home. I could meet you there?"

"No." Her chin tipped up. "Not leaving without you." The words rattled through his chest, cementing a few of the broken shards of his heart back together.

"I'll keep her company." Max pulled up beside Emily.

Unlike the last time his friend had tried to monopolize Emily's attention, a wave of gratitude crashed over Finn. "Thanks."

If he stood there longer, he'd be facing his own disciplinary hearing for insubordination. He crow barred his arms away from her and took a step back. Just one more kiss.

Because he could kiss her freely. Because she loved him.

He bracketed her face. "I love you." Her eyes sparkled and her grin made his heart gallop. With one last firm kiss on her lips, he retreated. "I'll be back. Then we'll..."

Emily's grin widened. "Talk."