Surrender (3/4) || 08

<pls don't be a silent reader>

•••

"—mom was three months pregnant when dad died," jungkook says, taking a sip of the coffee he insisted on ordering one for himself and two for the respective elder officers. jimin frowns at him, slamming his cup down on the table and turns to glance at aera for the millionth time as she's sitting next to jungkook, busy savouring her cheesecake completely okay with the heavy discussion going on.

"how come i never knew?" jimin asks in a low voice, dragging his eyes back to his brother.

"why do you think you deserved to know? you hated the family didn't you? left us— me and mom especially— to die there with dad?" jimin's jaw clenches in anger and jungkook scoffs, leaning forward as he maintains the eye contact, "you have no idea how much i fought everyday since the day you decided you didn't wanna be one of us. isn't that what you said? you didn't wanna be one of dad's kind, dealing, trading illegal, hurting others... yeah, but you didn't even think that maybe your brother and your mother might also wanna get out of there— to get out of that mess the father had created. i've done every-fucking-thing i could to get him away, but look at me, i just... became like him. exactly like him.

"and for what? all because i was tired of dealing with him, seeing him hurting mom— she was carrying a baby..." jungkook breathes out, glancing at aera, then back at jimin, "she used to say that she's fine because she didn't want to scare me. she'd smile, and talk to me normally as if she wasn't hurting all the damn time. it was around seven months, when she suddenly fainted that day... i was so scared. i thought i'd lose her forever. and i did lose her... the doctor said that there was a clot in her head because of some prior injury."

jimin gulps down in fear and disgust, never looking up from the table between them, hands clutching the cup tightly while jungkook's eye drops a tear, "dad had hit her once...it was his fault— that my mom died," he bites his lip, "aera was born premature. she needed medical assistance or else she'd've died too and i had no money. i was still underaged then, but i had to get the money. so i told the doctors to do whatever was necessary for her and i ran home, grabbed all the money i knew was there and also the gun from the basement dad used.

"he had a diary too, there were a few numbers and i knew i'd get money for my new born sister because we had to live alone now," jungkook sighs, "everyday ever since then, i became more like dad. but i promised myself that no matter what my sister won't be a part of this. she'll get the life she deserves and i'd do anything to make that happen."

aera nods at his words, making him chuckle, rubbing off the thin layer of tears from his eyes and uses his hand to cup aera's cheek, "riri's been my biggest strength and happiness ever since the day i first held her,"