41. The Girl is Mine

SKYE

"Hi," Greg says with a little wave.

My jaw goes slack and my eyes widen.

"Wha-" I say as I walk up to him. "What are you doing here?"

"I thought I'd surprise you!" he says with a smile. "I know I spent a long time ignoring you, and I just wanted to show you that I still care about you."

"I- We... Greg, this is a lot right now. I told you I wasn-"

"I know, I know." He shakes his head. "No expectations. I just came as a friend."

I turn around and see Jacks with questioning eyes. Kay bites her lips as she looks back and forth between Jacks, Greg, and me. Kay walks up to Greg and me with a smile and an outstretched hand.

"Hi, I'm Kay. Are you the fiancé we've heard so much about?"

Greg's eyes widen for a moment before he looks back at me.

"Kay, this is Greg," I say, gesturing between them. "Greg, Kay."

Discomfort crawls through my veins and under my skin.

This entire situation is my fault. I should have told everyone that we had broken up, but I didn't, and now I'm standing here trying to figure out what the hell I'm going to do while my boss and my ex make small talk in front of the man I love.

This is a disaster.

"Nice to meet you, Greg," she says, shaking his hand.

"Likewise."

"How did you find us?" I ask.

"You gave me your full itinerary before you left, remember?"

I nod, slack-jawed.

"Well, I was just telling Skye that we're having a crew dinner in the restaurant in about 20 minutes. You're welcome to come along and meet the rest of the team."

I look to Jacks, hoping for some cue as to what to do here, but he has his hands in his pockets and is staring off in the other direction.

"Sure, I'd love to," he says.

"Great! Well I'll see you two in a little bit then."

Jacks walks off without saying a thing so I assume he's upset. It's clear that I need to deal with this, and quickly. Kay returns to the front desk.

"Let's talk in my room," I say, walking toward the hall. When I reach the door, I pull out my room key and slide it into the lock. With a quick beep, it lets me inside.

The door closes behind us with a thud.

"Here, these are for you," he says, handing me the flowers.

"Thanks."

I take them and grab the empty ice bucket off the counter, filling it with water from the bathroom sink and placing them inside. When I return, he's sitting in the armchair in the corner. I sit down on the edge of the bed and sigh.

"You didn't tell them?" he asks.

"Huh?" I'm still in a daze, trying to process the situation I'm in.

"You didn't tell your coworkers that we broke up?"

"Oh. Um, I told a couple people, but mostly no."

"Does your family know?"

"Ollie does."

He nods, awkwardly staring down at his hands as he interlaces his fingers in his lap.

"Should I take that as a good sign?" he asks.