21) Chapter Twenty-One

#8 Tristan Kaplan – Day Six - 11:50 AM

Weak rays of sunlight shine through the window, scattering across the floor of the small cabin. It's more of a hut, really, but I like to think of it as a cabin. Despite its size, it's still larger than several of the places I've spent the night before. Yes. This was a good place to spend the day.

But is it still?

Things are happening at a rapid pace on this island. Just last morning there were seventeen of us and now, not more than twenty-four hours later, there are only twelve. I have this horrible feeling that we need to be proactive if we are to survive. Keep the audience entertained and stay on Mr. White's good side. Odds are, we might not survive even if we do.

We. Why do I keep thinking as we? We cannot win. Only one person can win. If you consider not dying "winning", that is.

I glance at my temporary allies. Humberto, the weaker of the two, is lying on the shaggy carpet that covers the floor just before the fireplace. His dark hair is an unkempt mess and his eyes, filled with suspicious fear, keep flickering over towards my other ally.

Justine. I've known this girl practically my entire time on this island, yet I still haven't the faintest idea what goes on inside her head. Originally, I thought that she was an intelligent and composed individual, but after she witnessed the death of her brother...she's been more than a little unhinged.

Now, I can't even be sure that she won't just kill me in my sleep.

After all, it was partially my fault her brother's dead. Mine and Humberto's. That's why he keeps throwing Justine those looks, as if she'll somehow figure out he was responsible. I don't worry about that. She won't ever learn about it—how could she?—but that doesn't mean she won't still kill us. That's the only way to win, after all.

Which means that the both of them must die for me to win.

I'm still surprised by how much that thought hurts me. I barely know these people, their deaths should mean nothing to me. But...I've gradually come to the realization that...I actually like these people.

And that only makes their eventual deaths all that much harder.

"Hello, Challengers. Ready for the next day?" Mr. White's voice stems from our datapads as the clock chimes noon. Humberto sits up, pulling the thing close to his face as Justine does the same. I keep my arm down. I don't need to see that prick's face. Hearing his stupid voice is good enough.

"You all know the drill by now. I come and blabber about something or other, then I show you the Rankings. Well, I'll cut the speech. Just enjoy your new positions!"

That's a pleasant surprise. I finally lift my arm up and take a quick glance through the new positions. 

My breath catches as I find myself at the #3 position

My breath catches as I find myself at the #3 position. Just below Chris and Anne. Wait. Anne is #1 now? That's a surprise. I thought for sure that Chris would spend another day as the invulnerable number one.