23) Chapter Twenty-Three

#11 Humberto Martel – Day Six - 2:45 PM

The pink-haired girl departs almost as soon as she arrived. Her warning words echo in my ears even as she disappears from sight, running as fast as her legs will take her. The dogs are coming. The words throb in my ears, filling me with panic as I pull myself up. The dogs are coming.

I break into a run just as the sound of excited barking comes from behind me. The dogs have rounded the corner and spotted me fleeing. I risk a look over my shoulder and see them sprinting after me, growling and hollering with ridiculously sharp teeth glistening in their mouths.

I pick up the pace.

I run blindly, as fast as my ill body will go. Dark spots flood my vision, making it difficult to see my surroundings. My head is pounding unbearably, my arms shaking uncontrollably. I feel like I'm about to pass out at any second. But the threat of death pumps adrenaline into my body and I run like I've never run before.

The fence, the entrance to the resort grounds, suddenly looms ahead. Deep despair grips my heart until I see that the gate is wide open. Oreo must have sped out this way.

As I blast by the gate, I swing a hand out and slam it shut behind me. It will slow them down. Not for long, but it will slow them down. Why did the gate have to open outwards?

I slip into the forest and nearly trip and fall over every root and twig. The world seems to be spinning, spinning like a carousel. Round and round and round. I stumble and only avoid falling by slamming into a tree. Then I'm back up and running again.

I break out onto the beach, and I'm suddenly aware of where I am. The small island on the coastal shelf hangs in the distance. A sense of familiarity and sadness washes over me. Why is that? I can't remember. What happened to Tristan and Justine? Why aren't they with me? I don't remember that either. I don't remember anything about this day.

I find myself making a beeline for the island.

My breaths come in short gasps, and my stomach feels like it's about to explode its contents all over. But I push on.

The dogs are gaining ground, and fast. I can hear their howls just behind me. I crash into the water, waves lapping at my thighs as I struggle towards the island. That's my escape. My only chance.

Somehow, someway, I manage to reach the island. But so do they. I'm only a few steps on the sand when claws slash across my back. I scream with pain as I feel two gashes forming. I whip around, arms flailing. I'm not going to run. I'm going to fight.

But I have no chance.

I shove one of the dogs away just as the biggest one throws himself at me, easily knocking me down. The giant hound pins me to the ground, while I struggle in futilely, screaming my head off. Then it raises its vicious head and with one swift, deft motion, sinks its teeth into my throat.

Blood gurgles down my lips as I attempt to breath through my mangled throat. My eyes are wide and unseeing. My life seems to flash through my mind. I see everyone I've ever loved, all of them now lost to me. Esmeralda...I'm sorry... I can only think one thing as I close my eyes and let the hounds escort me to the afterlife.

***

#1 Anne Bellvue – Day Six - 5:47 PM

I trudge through the forest, eyes half-shut from fear and exhaustion. All day I've seen nightmares. The worst things possible. Things dredged up from the very deep recesses of humanity, things I never wish to see again.