Chapter 58 - Swansong

3 Days later

England, West Coast
Devonshire, Wales
Exeter Central Station
8 November 1898, 2:26 p.m.

A loud hiss and rattle entered the compartment from outside. A brief jolt accompanied the approaching train, then the monotonous hissing, groaning, and steady rocking began. The first-class seats were soft and comfortable, cushioning the movement on the tracks, and Kyle thanked God - whichever one - that he wouldn't have to spend another night in the horrible beds in St George.

"Mr. Crowford? Are you even listening to me?"

Kyle groaned tonelessly, then opened his eyes to look at Dr. Archer, who was staring at him with his legs crossed, his notebook propped on his upper thigh. Kyle clicked his tongue and gathered his head from the soft, dark red side cushion.

Having completed their assignment in St George, Dr. Archer now seemed to return to the usual formalities.

"I think we're beyond that Mr. Crowford?" opined Kyle, raising his narrow eyebrows a little. "You may continue to call me Kyle, Mr. Archer. If you wish." he offered generously, not ignoring the smirk that dug into the corners of the doctor's mouth. Only close acquaintances ducked each other in English society. But after they had saved each other's lives more than once and had practically been through hell together, it seemed appropriate to him. Dr. Archer just nodded in agreement and both men were aware that much had changed for them despite the short time.

"Did you really have to bring that old thing with you?" Dr. Archer pointed to a long piece of luggage wrapped in Kyle's tattered coat lying on the overhead rack.

"This 'old thing' was capable of killing a demon. And from what Annabeth told me, it was this sword that kept him in the cave all those years. It's no ordinary blade and I'm certainly not going to give it up easily." the mage said, grinning smugly. "Think of the sword as my personal trophy, if you will."

The doctor uttered a low sound that almost sounded like a laugh. His arm hung in a sling, bandaged and splinted by a doctor in Exeter who had attended to the doctor's injuries. Kyle's wounds, on the other hand, especially those of his left arm, had to be treated by Dr. Archer. It would have been difficult to explain blackened veins and wound edges to an Exeter doctor, much less such wounds that failed to heal in the usual time. Under the long sleeve of his jacket, his arm was also in a carefully tied bandage for this reason.

Both men had been cleaned of blood and mud and had been restored to their proper condition. They wore clean clothes again, were shaved, and had their hair done. After the last few days, which had been hectic and full of tactical decisions on how to proceed, the mage was looking forward to his home, bed, and familiar surroundings in London.

"When will Mrs. Jäger and Annabeth join us?"

Kyle generally sat up a little straighter now. The cushion beneath him sighed softly under the shifting of his weight as he made sure to move slowly and deliberately. Three of his ribs were cracked and still, they gave him pain.

"In a week or two. It will take a little time for them to sell and pack the farm and the sheep." Kyle explained and the doctor nodded in understanding.