Chapter Thirty - An Old Friend

It took me forever to get to sleep that night, longer than normal. Loki had offered to help put me to sleep but I refused, not wanting to be drugged to sleep with his magic, that had already happened too many times at HYDRA, but with actual medicine.

My brain was just too active for me to fall asleep, it was circling with thoughts of Safak and HYDRA and what my purpose for Safak could actually be. I tended to have a very active brain, but tonight was bad. I didn't get to sleep until at least two in the morning, and even then it wasn't peaceful.

Everything around me was pitch black, so dark I couldn't see my hands in front of me. I spun around, trying to find a way out of the darkness.

"Emily." Something whipped past me, whispered in my ear and creating a cool breeze. I spun around, squinting through the darkness, and something ran past me again, ruffling my hair.

"Emily." Someone whispered in my ear again and I shivered, spinning around to where the voice was. I hesitantly put my hand out, trying to see if someone was there, but my hand just fell straight through the air. I curled both my hands into fists at my side, spinning around to try and see who was there.

"I'm coming for you." The voice whispered, a finger trailing down my arm, causing me to wrench my hand away, holding both my hands close to my chest. I felt the cold metal of my bracelets against my skin and I took a deep breath before slowly unclipping them and letting them slide to the floor, the bracelets not making a single sound as they fell to the ground.

"Emily." The voice tauntingly whispered again.

"Who are you?" I asked, spinning around as flames began to flicker on my arms, lighting up the darkness.

"Emily." A voice dragged me out of the nightmare and I blinked blearily before feeling something covering my arms. I scrambled upright and saw green light covering both my arms, suffocating the flames trying to spark. My eyes darted back up and I saw Loki standing at the bottom of my bed, green light pouring out of his hands.

"I figured Tony wouldn't exactly like it if you set a room on fire again." His smile illuminated by his magic. "Can you try and control the flames." I nodded and within a couple of seconds, the weak sparks on my arms had completely disappeared and Loki drew back his magic, freeing my arms.

"Thanks." I said softly, sitting up and sweeping back the hair falling across my face.

"Its about five o'clock in the morning." He said, looking over at the light filtering in through the drawn curtains. "Rogers is already out on a run. Pepper will probably start making breakfast in about an hour. Are you going to try and get back to sleep?"

"I won't be able to." I shook my head. "I might just sit out of the balcony and get some fresh air."

"I'll see you down at breakfast then." He smiled before disappearing in a flash of green. I blinked at his sudden disappearance before I threw the off the blankets and walked over to the curtains. I pulled them open and opened up the glass door, letting a rather chilly breeze wash over me. I wrapped my arms around myself and walked out on the balcony, looking out across the large grassy area beyond the compound that met the tall pine forest. I spotted a figure running along the edge of the grassy area and after a couple of seconds, I noticed it was Steve. He ran under the balcony and stopped, noticing me.

"You're up early." He called out, his shirt soaked with sweat and sticking to him, but he wasn't even out of breath.

"Nightmare." I replied, tightening my arms around myself.

"Want to join me?" He asked. "A run helps me to my thoughts."

"I'm okay." I shook my head. "Thanks though." He nodded and gave me a small smile before running of again. I took in a deep breath, inhaling the cold air until I felt slightly more awake. I tied back my hair with a hairband on my wrist and stepped back into my room, goosebumps beginning to appear on my arms.

I took a quicker shower, trying to wake myself up a little more, before I walked downstairs to an empty kitchen and lounge room. I poured myself a cup of juice, hoping that Tony wouldn't get upset, and sat down on the couch, looking at the blank TV.

Steve came in from the training room about half and hour later, dressed in new clothes and looking much more refreshed.

"I've been thinking." He said, grabbing something out of the fridge before he walked over to stand next to the edge of the couch. "I have this old friend. There is someone I would like you too meet, a long-time friend. I feel like you two have a lot in common. We can leave after breakfast if you like."

"Have you asked Tony?" I asked him. "Will it be okay with everyone else?"

"I don't need to ask them permission to leave the compound." He raised an eyebrow slightly. I was so use to asking if I was allowed to do things, or being told what to do. Actually, it was really rare that I asked to do anything, anything I ever wanted was taken away from me.

"You don't have to go if you don't want to of course." He offered.

"No, I'll go." I shook my head, giving him a small smile. "Thank you." He nodded and broke into a relieved smile.

"Would I know this friend?" I asked in a moment of curiosity, looking up at Steve.

"Probably not." He shook his head. "I don't think I've mentioned him before. His name is Bucky, Bucky Barnes.