III. A Familiar Sort of Feeling

𝙖 𝙛𝙖𝙢𝙞𝙡𝙞𝙖𝙧 𝙨𝙤𝙧𝙩 𝙤𝙛 𝙛𝙚𝙚𝙡𝙞𝙣𝙜

Quick note: I edited like two words for continuity's sake. I also took out one of the graphics I made because I decided Artemis's character made more sense gay rather than bi (he and Estelle are a perfect example of gay/lesbian solidarity). Okay, that's all. Read on!

The following day, Artemis jolted awake, nearly falling off his bed, to the sound of someone pounding on his door. He leaped up, immediately alert, tugging on presentable clothes in record time, and raced for the door. Without looking, Artemis ripped the door open, ignoring the bolt of pain in his arm and the loud thudding noise from the door colliding with the wall, most definitely damaging the drywall. Standing in front of him, looking impatient and wholly unimpressed, was Estelle.

"God, took you long enough," she said, stepping under his arm and into the apartment.  

Though she couldn't see it, Artemis stuck out his tongue as he shut the door. "I didn't realize so many people would come unannounced," he muttered, moving to dig through the kitchen drawers—his heating pad had to be somewhere. "Is this a New York thing? Do all New Yorkers do this?"

Estelle gave him a pointed look with her hands on her hips. "Or you're just forgetful. I'm driving you to pick up your medication, remember? And then we're meeting Foggy, Matt, and Karen for lunch." Pausing, she looked down to see a large, ginger cat wound between her legs. "And when the fuck did this happen? I thought your building didn't allow pets."

"They do," Artemis hummed. "I just have to pay a deposit. Found him in an alley last night, all alone, and he followed me home." He rubbed the cat's head, lips quirking up slightly when he began to purr.

Only one block out from the complex, he heard shuffling in the alley nearby, and his curiosity quickly got the best of him. Squinting, he peered into the alleyway, wincing as a twinge of pain shot up his neck.

"Hello?" He called, stepping further into the alley. No response, only more shuffling, followed by a muffled thump. As his eyes adjusted to the darkness of the alley, he noticed a collection of boxes piled high—almost to his head—where the sounds appeared to be coming from.

Cautiously, Artemis crept closer to the boxes. "Are you... alright?" He asked, keeping his voice level.

"Mrow."

He blinked, stopping short. Is that a—?

Before he could move any closer, a large cat leaped out of one of the lower boxes. It eyed Artemis warily, ears pinned back. The man slowly crouched down, ignoring the creaking and pain in his knees as he reached out a careful hand.