VII. The Nature of Keeping Secrets

the nature of keeping secrets

IT HAD been a long day, and Artemis was greatly looking forward to collapsing into his bed. He shoved the creaky door open and—

There was a cage in his apartment. His heart stuttered as he shut his door with a click. It was familiar in a way that made his stomach drop, and he could taste bile almost immediately. He knew its shape, knew the spattering of rust along the galvanized steel chain-linked walls but pristine door handle and padlock. It looked better suited to a large animal, but if needed, it could fit something larger, like—

"Kotik?"

There was no answering meow. Instead, there was a sharp voice, one that made his heart stop instantly.

"There are no cats here, Asset," said a smooth, accented voice as the blurred figure of his handler stepped out of his bedroom, just to the side of the cage. "Dogs, however," the faceless face seemed to stare him down, head tilted and mock-imploring. "Well. We do seem to have a bad dog."

He was no longer twenty-eight. Instead, he was fourteen, fifteen, again, wearing his training suit and the muzzle that covered his mouth. There was a collar around his neck, humming with electricity that promised pain and prongs that dug harshly into the delicate skin.

Artemis stumbled with a gasp, hands flying to his throat to relieve himself of the suffocating sensation. As he did, a bolt of pain erupted in his spine, and his legs gave out, sending him crashing to the hardwood floor.

His handler tsked. "You broke the rules, you know? What ever shall we do with you?"

A blinding pain shook his whole body, and then there was nothing.

Artemis bolted up in bed, gasping for air, much to the distaste of Kotik, whose new favorite spot during the night had become his chest. The cat skittered off the bed with an offended yowl and ran toward the kitchen. He didn't notice, clawing at his neck to remove the phantom collar. His hands instead pulled harshly at a thin jewelry chain, and he paused, stiff hands trailing down the length of it to reach a small locket. Swallowing, he gripped it tightly, not needing to open it to envision the small photo of his older sister and the blank frames left for the rest of his family.

If I can ever find them.

Forcing his breathing to even, Artemis swung his legs over the side of his bed despite his protesting back and hips and stood, trailing behind Kotik. As soon as he was out of his bedroom, the light from the uncovered window hit his eyes, and he hissed at the sudden flash of pain in his head.

Great. Just what I need, a migraine.

Glancing at the watch on his wrist—nearly seven—he trudged over to the kitchen, tugging the fridge open and digging for a protein shake. He barely had time to open the cap before there was a sharp rapping at his door.