Chapter 1: Holding on

"FAMAS Pizza and Pasta, how can I serve you today?" Katie said, pressing the phone against her ear.

Katie picked dirt from under from under her chipped nails as she waited for the customer to state their order. Listening, she watched the as clock creeped closer to the end of her shift. 

Each time it was the same dull, soul sucking routine. She'd clock in at 6 pm, welcome the smell of toasting tomato paste and baking dough covered the restaurant, picking up slight hints of cheddar cheese and Italian herbs. Each time she would pat away trickles of sweat off her forehead as she worked, waiting for the clock to pass 12.

Each time it grew more draining. Every time the customers were high-pitched and demanding, her coworker's grunts and complaints were drowned out by Katies desire to ignore their existence entirely. 

Taking a breath, she cam e back to reality. "Thanks, Ma'am. Your order will be ready in 10-15 minutes. Have a fabulous evening." 

She couldn't even bring it in her to fake nice, her voice sounded empty and her words dragged a few moments too long. 

Why was she still here?

Shouting the order, she got a few grunts and the occasional nod from her coworkers. Each visibly upset that there was another order before they too could call it quits. After all, the "last one" was meant to be 20 minutes ago.

"No more fucking orders Katie, I'm not making another goddamn pizza" Nick shouted as he pulled a pizza base from the oven, balancing it with ease before setting it down. 

She sighed in agreement before she placed the phone back into the charger. Pressing her lips into a tight line, she walked over to the saucing station, ready to clean, rinse and repeat the same evening tomorrow.

One more hour... 

********

"Oh heylo, lo-burp-ok who finally decided to come home," Kattie's Dad slurred from behind her as she rotated the key to lock the door, jolting it into place. Tense, she turned to face her Father. 

He was a mess. His grey hair yellow against the light, the white in his eyes matching. Her Dad greeting Katie with a half smile and a mischievous glint evident despite the bloodshot red in them. His arms were raised in a futile attempt to call her in for a warm hug.

"Hey Dad, how you feeling?" She replied, voice monotone as she walked past, staring at the cans littered across the living room.

Momentarily hurt by the rejection, Harry tripped after her, pointing at the spot like it was a friend who tried to mess with him. He waved with a quick "bah" from his mouth, like the tile wasn't worth the fight tonight.

"Oh you know, living a life of luxury my dear", he said, stumbling towards the dining table where his last beer sat. With a strange excited dance, he picked up the can. For a moment, there was a thought of reason, but it flickered away as fast as it came. 

Blinking the exhaustion from her eyes, Katie pulled out a trash bag from the cupboard and in one quick motion it was open.

"That's good Dad, happy to hear," she whispered, picking up the cans around the apartment. 

One, two... 

Harry clicked the can open, the sounds echoing through the apartment. The sounds still sent a shudder down her spine, a warning, no, a promise that she would have to look after a grown man for the evening. A reminder for her to stay on her toes.

 A reminder to hold her breath for she may be greeted by a monster, or her Dad. Neither mattered in the morning. Wake up enough times as the person remembers the evening, it will soon start to feel like a hazy dream.