Going to the Beach

Tito and Francis spent the night in the gardens of a local motel. Still groggy, Francis woke up to see the face of a female dog staring down at him; she was a golden Labrador with a big goofy smile.

"Hello?" Francis was perplexed. 

"Morning!" the Labrador giggled. "I'm Annie. You are?"

Francis decided it would only make sense to introduce himself.

"My name is Francis," he replied in his mellifluous voice. "And this is Tito," he gestured to the Chihuahua.

"What's your name, senorita?" Tito enquired.

"Annie."

"So, Annie, do you live here?" Tito stretched as he asked this.

"Well...yeah. I hang around the motel cause my owners run the place." Annie flopped on her back with her legs in the air. She quickly righted herself.

"So, do ya wanna maybe go to the beach?"

"We'd love to!" Francis replied. "But which one?"

"There's quite a few, but Venice is, like, the best!" Annie was practically doing backflips as she said this. Tito and Francis looked at her as though she was crazy.

"A trip to the beach would be in order," Francis mused. "I'm in!"

"Cool!" Annie smiled.

Later that morning, the three dogs headed to Venice Beach. If the beach was busy, the Venice boardwalk was something else. Tourists from practically every walk of life, as well as street performers; singers, and artists, as well as vendors selling tacky merchandise.

The beach was also a sea of tourists, sunbathing under the golden California rays. They were taken aback.

"Who wants to go for a swim?" Annie asked, wagging her tail.

"I would!" Tito replied. "I need to burn off some of my breakfast!" Before arriving, the trio had snaffled some bacon and eggs from the motel restaurant, and caused a bit of a panic among the guests.

"You coming, Frankie?" Annie turned to Francis.

"Oh, no! I'll stay here. Bulldogs like me just weren't built for swimming--" Francis tried to explain.

"OK. Well, you're fine?"

Francis nodded. Annie rushed off.

Annie was having a ball, swimming in the sea with Tito using her as a surfboard.

"I love this!" the Labrador cried as she tried to ride a wave.

"Me too!" the Chihuahua cried.

About an hour later, the two dogs returned to the beach, their fur smelling of saltwater. They shook themselves dry on a family who were relaxing nearby. And who should they see but a certain bulldog carrying two juicy looking hamburgers and a hot dog in his jowls? He set the food down for his friends, and they ate.

"Where'd ya get this?" Annie enquired.

"I 'liberated' a nearby barbecue, if you know what I mean." Francis winked.

Suddenly, their revery was cut short when they could hear shouting, and saw a burly, sunburnt figure striding towards them.

The three dogs made a run for it, laughing.

"This trip just keeps getting better and better!" Francis chuckled.