[25] desperate times

6x02; 6x03JSS; Thank you

6x02; 6x03
JSS; Thank you

No, PLEASE!

Nora felt a hand on her shoulder making her jump and yelp squirming away.

"It's me, it's me."

The younger child relaxed when she heard her sister's voice. "They—they killed Mrs and Mr—"

"What?"

Nora didn't repeat what she had begun to say, replaying the frantic screams of the elder couple that had been on the porch before being slaughtered by a giant man with a machete.

She saw her sister's eyes water ever so slightly before they returned to a nonchalant expression. "Look, we need to get out of here."

"What?" Now it was her turn to say the word.

"We've been talking about this for days."

"You have."

"It's not safe here anymore."

"It's not safe—" Nora halted when more screams followed, "out there either," she protested as her sister brought her close for reassurance.

The day had been quieter, without a considerable group leading a herd away from Alexandria. But the community wasn't too loud on a daily basis, the day had seemed like any other until screams of pain and fear took over the place.

Nora had seen one of the attackers in the window of her room before hearing the screams right outside her house. She'd seen the marriage that had welcomed her and her sister into the house being murdered before running outside, right before hearing footsteps enter the home.

It was a good thing she was good at jumping down floors, otherwise, she wouldn't have managed to jump out the window and get out of the house without being seen.

"Look, we can't let them get these," she showed her sister a bunch of keys. "So we'll get them to someone but then we're out. We need to get our bags from the other house." The bags they'd packed to make a quick run if they ever had to. Those were at one of the empty houses, three streets down.

"What about the others?" the younger sister held back the urge to protest with other matters. They were hidden from sight, but the yells were still in the background. They squatted further down hidden by the bushes when someone with a weapon passed.

"I don't think there'll be any others, Nora... Look we need to stay together. Survive. Remember? JSS. But everyone else...something always happens," Enid said to her.

They couldn't afford to get attached and lose people.

─────✦─────

Carl straightened holding his Colt rifle in his hands when he heard the door being opened. The sound seemed to be from the keyhole. He remained in the wall waiting for the door to open before aiming his weapon at the intruder.