Chapter One

GAEMON TARGARYEN
CHAPTER I: bite the hand

GAEMON TARGARYENCHAPTER I: bite the hand

KING'S LANDING

On the first day of the second moon of the new year, the 127th year after Aegon's Conquest, King Viserys I held a feast. A feast was a weird word for it, though. Gaemon found 'dinner' a more suited word. It was only members of House Targaryen who had been invited. Along with the Velaryon brood of his 'aunt' Rhaenyra. Rhaenyra and Gaemon's relationship was complicated.

On top of the table was enough food to feed the smallfolk for many a moon, while their leftovers would simply be thrown out. Gaemon knew it was a waste, but he could do nothing about it. Queen Alicent was in charge. His mother would have wished the food given to the smallfolk and he wished the same, but his mother was dead.

At the head of the table sat his uncle, King Viserys. On his left was his wife, the Queen Alicent. On his right was his daughter, the Princess Rhaenyra.

And next to the Queen were her sons, Aegon, Aemond and Daeron. Next to Prince Daeron was his sister Princess Helaena (who was also Aegon's wife) and next to her were her children, Jaehaerys and Jaehaera. The twins had turned five last year. Little Maelor, just a moon old, was fast asleep in his mother's chamber. The feast was held in Maelor's honor, as he had been newly born just a moon ago. But as he was so young, he was unable to attend the feast himself.

Next to Princess Rhaenyra was her consort, Daemon. Next to him were Gaemon, Jacaerys and Lucerys, and next to them sat Baela and Rhaena. Though by blood they were not all his sons, everyone in the Realm knew that Daemon loved Jacaerys and Lucerys and Joffrey as if they had come from his own cock.

Gaemon was the very same. Though he would not quite consider Jacaerys his brother. After their parents had gotten married in early 120 AC, when Gaemon was eight and Jace only six. He was old enough to know that Jace was not his brother, and never would be. And that was because his brother should have been born from his mother's belly. No matter how Gaemon loved Rhaenyra, she'd never be his mother.