[06] 03.10.79

3RD OCTOBER, 1979.

16:02, THE BIKE RACKS.

CAROLINE REALISES SHE LIKES VANCE.

Caroline had been waiting at the bike racks for about five minutes now, she had shown up fairly early and it's not like she gave a specific time. After school could mean any time after school ended. She was fairly excited about going to Vance's house, wondering what his room would be like. Her worries about him forgetting were gonna as she spotted Vance walking alongside his friend.

"You haven't been waiting too long have you?" Vance asked once he was in her range of hearing. "Only about five minutes." Vance said goodbye to his friend and took Caroline's hand in order to lead her to his house. "I only live about 15 minutes away, you don't mind walking right?" Caroline shook her head in a no, while following Vance's direction.

"So how was your free period, vancey?" Although Vance blushed at the sweet nickname, he groaned outloud knowing it was a joke. "That's such a stupid nickname." With a fake look of shock on her face, Caroline giggled. "Oh you know you love it." He did, he did love it. "Whatever, I didn't do anything in free but hang around the principals office."

"What did you do this time?"

"The funny thing is, it wasn't even me this time! It was moose." He groaned in annoyance. Vance wasn't the type to vandalise, he stuck to fights.

"Oh, well I'm proud of you for staying out of trouble." Vance became bashful at this. For the rest of the walk neither said much, maybe a joke about a passerby on the other side of the street. Resulting in quiet laughs and odd looks from other pedestrians. Vance walked up to the metal gate of his house.

"Uhm, my mum is home. She won't say nothing though." Caroline nodded and followed Vance into his home. On the walls were various childhood photos of him, mostly with his mother. At the end of the hallway was one bigger photo of Vance with both of his parents, the only one of his father in the whole hallway. She stopped to look at it, nobody was smiling in fact they all looked like they didn't want to be here.

"Oh, there's not many of my dad cause he isn't around a lot. Probably for the better anyways." Vance moved over to the edge of the stairs to call up to his mum, Caroline stays looking at the childhood photos of Vance (noting how adorable he was). "My mum's gonna love you by the way."

Soon after, Vance's mother came rushing downstairs to greet her son and his guest. She was a short woman, around the same height as Caroline. Like Caroline and her mother, Vance and his shared many features. She had curly blonde hair, with occasional Grey's, bright blue eyes and a sweet smile. "Hello, you must be Caroline! I've heard so much about you." She was a warm woman, who immediately offered a hug to Caroline. Although it was a short one, it made both Caroline and Vance smile.

"Hope he's not been telling you I'm a complete loser."

"Oh god no, he talks all about how beautiful you are and sweet." Vance's initial smile watching Caroline and his mother interact dropped out of embarrassment. He should of known that his mother would be like this with the first girl he brought home. Even if it was just for tutoring.

"Well isn't that sweet of him." Caroline blushed. "Oh well he can be a sweet boy when he isn't fighting everything that moves." They shared a laugh while Vance took Caroline's hand in his. "Ok mum we're going and studying now you can be quiet about things I told you in confidence!"

Caroline now sat on Vance's bed in his room, staring around at the walls while Vance attempted to find his physics notes (which did not exist). His room was not completely bare, a few posters were on one wall and he had various old things he clearly hadn't cared to move since he was young.