[11] 09.11.79

9TH NOVEMBER, 1979.

17:37, CAROLINE'S HOUSE.

VANCE AND CAROLINE CONFESS THEIR FEELINGS.

Vance had been scared shitless the whole weekend. Had he scared Caroline off so badly by kissing her? She had agreed to the kiss but what if it was a mistake to her? What if she didn't like Vance. Maybe he's been right his whole life, maybe nobody would ever fall in love with him. He couldn't believe he'd let himself think for even one second that he deserved her. Her of all people.

Vance knew one thing though, he needed to tell her his feelings. Even if it killed him, she needed to know. He planned on talking to her at school, but when Caroline wasn't in her usual seat in any of their shared lessons. He filled with panic. He'd caught Frances some time after lunch, the nervous girl spluttered out that she was sick. Causing Vance to storm off.

Maybe she was sick. I mean, she wasn't avoiding him. Surely.

Caroline had been desparately avoiding Vance, it was easy over the weekend as she just didn't leave her house. When Monday rolled around she decidedly took a sick day. Partially because she was feeling ill, maybe staying out late with Vance most evenings with no jacket wasn't good for her. She had also been worrying this whole time. She didn't really think the kiss was a mistake, no not at all. What if Vance thought it was a mistake ? That's the question that passed through her mind constantly. What if she was not deserving of his love?

So now she was making her dinner in the kitchen, wearing Vance's sweatshirt he must have left there one time and wrapped in a very large blanket.

'knock knock'

Assuming it was just Frances or Marylin coming with her schoolwork for the day, she answered the door without even checking who it was.

"Vance."

"Caroline, I need to tell you this even if you never want to see me again. You really need to know ok."

"Vance?" Caroline was confused, why did he look so scared? Vance was not a fearing boy, so why did he fidget and wrong his hands.

"I'm in love with you. I don't know when it happened but I know I am. I mean, how could I not be? I don't think I know anyone as sweet and as loving as you. Even if I am not worthy of love, even if I won't do anything in my life. I know I fell in love with you and I think that's all that matters to me." He spoke fast, spewing words out like they'd been building up for years.

"Vance."

"Even if I can't love you, even if you think kissing me was a mistake. I will love you as if I'll never see you again and I will love you like you deserve it. Caroline Sanderson you deserve the whole world and I could only wish that I'd be able to give it to you."

"Vance, I'm in love with you."

"What?"

"I uh- I love you too. How could I not?"

He launched forward at her, holding her waist tightly as if he let go she wouldn't be there anymore. He kicked the door closed and picked up Caroline, spinning her around. He stared at her face, taking in every single part of it. His eyes flickered down to her lips.

"You can kiss me, if you want?"

"You won't run away this time?"

"Promise."

So Vance did kiss her, with every single drop of passion his body. He kissed her long and hard and good. So Caroline kissed back, with every part of her that believed she'd never be loved by any boy. One hand was on her cheeks and the other wrapped around her waist, trying to pull her even closer. She moved her hands into his hair at the nape of his neck, running them through it.

"Is that my jumper?" Vance looked down at her once they pulled away, still holding Caroline close. "Yeah, I can give it back I'd you want." Vance laughed, and pushed a lose strand of her hair behind her ear. "You keep it."